We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shakedown from Police in Punta Del Este

Hampstead, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Shakedown from Police in Punta Del Este

My husband and I just returned from a vacation through Argentina, Uruguay and Chile. It was incredible and lived up to every expectation we had... less one experience. We rented a car in Punta del Este so that we could take a drive along the coast. On our way to Jose Ignacio we were waived off the road by a policeman. He asked for our car rental papers, which the agency we rented from had accidentally not given us. We gave him the business card from the rental place, the name of the owner as well as my husbands drivers license which he'd requested. He gave us back the business card, tucked the license in his pocket and told us we'd get it back once we paid "the ticket" the next day back in the city.

Since we were there for one day and leaving on a cruise ship that evening, there was no way we would be able to appear anywhere the next day. Now, we'd done nothing wrong, so "the ticket" was BS to begin with, but it became instantly apparent to me that we were being shaken down. Of course as soon as we asked if we could just pay him the amount of "the ticket," he said, "of course, just step over to my police van." He initially asked for $150US. My husband got him down to $100. He had a stack of licenses in the car which he'd taken from people who I guess wouldn't play the game. As we had other cars we needed to rent on our vacation, we were out of options.

We did report this to the car rental agency and I got a photo of the police van with his number on it. They called someone to report this, but I assume that's hopeless. I just wanted too share this with other tourists. My husband and I are well traveled and have been lucky enough to go through Asia, Africa, Central America and a lot of South America without an incident like this. Uruguay just screwed our record! The bottom line, don't hand over your license if you're not prepared to lose it, or carry a photocopy of it with you at all times.

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Chile
Chile
South America
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Maldonado Department, Uruguay
Jose Ignacio
Jose Ignacio
Maldonado Department, Uruguay
The Grand Hotel
The Grand Hotel
#1 of 65 hotels in Punta del Este
Awa Boutique and Design Hotel
Awa Boutique and Design Hotel
#5 of 65 hotels in Punta del Este
Barradas Parque Hotel & Spa
Barradas Parque Hotel & Spa
#6 of 65 hotels in Punta del Este
Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
519 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Shakedown from Police in Punta Del Este

Punta, now the daylight requirement is for towns also. At least in Colonia, we need to turn the lights on, during daytime and use seatbelts, also in town. Motorcycles drivers need to wear a helmet, new rules!

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Shakedown from Police in Punta Del Este

Thank you for the 'heads up' on in-town driving regulations, Zerpa.

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Shakedown from Police in Punta Del Este

Interesting news about the lights now being required in town, Zerpa. We'll be moving back over to Punta in October for "the season," and I will try to remember. I was pretty much in the habit of always driving with them, anyway, but you know the iron law -- the one time you forget is the time the police pull you over.

Punta has had a motorcycle helmet law for years, but they strengthened it a couple of years ago by requiring really imposing-looking helmets -- Star Wars type, protecting the jaws and neck as well as the head. Very strictly enforced.

14. Re: Shakedown from Police in Punta Del Este

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 03:18