We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If time is limited - Montevideo or Punta del Este?

Seattle
Level Contributor
388 posts
16 reviews
If time is limited - Montevideo or Punta del Este?

If time is limited (3 or 4 nights)- which would you visit Montevideo or Punta del Este?

If staying in Buenos Aires for 5 nights, would you visit Colonia for a day - and return to BA, or stay the night on the way to Montevideo or Punta del Este?

Thank you.

Dunedin, Florida
6 posts
1. Re: If time is limited - Montevideo or Punta del Este?

When I was studying abroad in BA, I went for the weekend to Uruguay. Took the speedy boat to Colonia and stayed the night there (wish I could of stayed longer) and then in the morning we took the bus to Punta del este and I recommend it over Montevideo. Montevideo is nice but is similar to BA as its a city. Punta del este is BEAUTIFUL and you need to go up to Punta ballena and go to the casapueblo at sunset, it is an amazing place, one of my favorite sites of my summer stay in South America. I recommend a bus tour around Punta as they take you everywhere (including casapueblo)

Punta del Este...
5 posts
2. Re: If time is limited - Montevideo or Punta del Este?

I would rather go to Punta del este, beautiful beaches, nice restaurants, gorgeous sunsets. Montevideo is busier, but it has old beautiful buildings

but if I was you for such a short time I would choose Punta.

Enjoy

Marina

Punta del Este...
5 posts
3. Re: If time is limited - Montevideo or Punta del Este?

I would rather go to Punta del este, beautiful beaches, nice restaurants, gorgeous sunsets. Montevideo is busier, but it has old beautiful buildings

but if I was you for such a short time I would choose Punta.

Enjoy

Marina

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
18 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: If time is limited - Montevideo or Punta del Este?

We are visiting Buenos Aires and the Iguazu Falls from Europe. We have 5 extra days and don't know if we should go to Punta del Este or to Rio again? Any suggestions? thanks.

sacramento
Level Contributor
35 posts
83 reviews
5. Re: If time is limited - Montevideo or Punta del Este?

If you like towns that feel cosmopolitan and European, then Punta del Este. Think "lifestyles of the rich and famous"/Miami Beach circa 1950. If you like local color and aren't into the beach scene and expensive restaurants, Montevideo is a great choice. But no question, Punta del Este has more shopping, beaches and restaurants. I just posted about a cool place we had lunch and wine tasting in Montevideo: Corcho's Bistro. It was one of the highlights of our 3 week trip.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: If time is limited - Montevideo or Punta del Este?

Queen of... Where did you get the bus tour? Even though we've been to Punta before I think it might be fun. we live close to NY and have been there so many times. One day we decided to take the double decker bus tour and went through different neighborhoods and learned some new things about buildings we pass by all the time.

7. Re: If time is limited - Montevideo or Punta del Este?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 12:17