We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uruguay itinerary suggestion Christmas New Year 2014?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
218 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Uruguay itinerary suggestion Christmas New Year 2014?

Hola,

I will be in Buenos Aires in December and from the forum, everuone suggested I go to Uruguay for Christmas New Years as there is nothing happening in BA. Reading some comments on Uruguay forum, people mentioned nothing happens in Punta during Christmas. So my itinerary is as follows;

Explore History Architecture in Colonia for 23, 24, 25

go to Montevideo 26, 27

go to Punta from 28 to 1st.

What do think? Any suggestions/recommendation ?

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Montevideo
Montevideo
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uruguay itinerary suggestion Christmas New Year 2014?

My first thought is that three days in Colonia is much too long. Colonia is a one day visit, unless you plan to rent a car and explore the area, but even then you could cover most points of interest in two days.

After that, I wonder what you plan on doing in Montevideo and Punta del Este. Montevideo is a great city, but can be covered rather quickly and Punta del Este doesn't seem to have much beyond beaches, clubs and restaurants. It might a good idea to consider renting a car to explore the area.

Edited: 12 October 2014, 13:38
Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Maldonado Department, Uruguay
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,959 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uruguay itinerary suggestion Christmas New Year 2014?

I would do Colonia -- 1 to 2 days at most

Montevideo -- 2 days

Punta del Este and east of Punta - remainder of your time.

You'll need a car in Punta del Este to drive farther east -- great beaches and towns. Also consider that if you're planning on spending New Years eve in Punta del Este and environs you'll need to make sure you can find a place to stay for just one or two nights. It wasn't easy years past, but this year with less tourists from Argentina maybe it's easier.

Silvia

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Maldonado Department, Uruguay
Argentina
Argentina
South America
3. Re: Uruguay itinerary suggestion Christmas New Year 2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2015, 00:19