We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Eve day (2015) in Punta del Este

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Eve day (2015) in Punta del Este

Hi! We will be arriving by cruise ship (Oceania's Marina) Dec. 24th, docking at 9AM, departing at 6PM. Any suggestions for the best way to spend the day, taking into account that my husband and I do not like sitting on a beach but do like to walk and explore. Can we walk into town from the dock? How close is the tourist info office to the dock? And will shops be open all day or do they close early on Christmas Eve? Thanks for any advice - I will appreciate it! Angelika

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Eve day (2015) in Punta del Este

There are two docks, one smack in the middle of the town and the other a very short (few hundred yards) walk from the center. Christmas Eve is a pretty normal commercial day, as is Christmas Day for that matter. The Christmas celebration starts late evening (10 p.m. or so) on Christmas Eve and culminates in fireworks at midnight. Too bad you will miss that.

Given your preferences, I'd suggest you spend the day criss-crossing the peninsula of Punta del Este, exploring shops, enjoying the differing vistas (water all around you, almost always in view). Be sure to go all the way to the end of the peninsula, where the river and ocean technically meet and where there's a small memorial to the Battle of the River Plate in WWII (chase of the Graf Spee). If you like French crepes, there's a very good crepe shop in the center of town, just off the main street (Gorlero). Almost anyone can direct you to it. Be prepared, as Punta del Este is pretty expensive. The Dollar is at a ten-year high against the Peso right now (up over 30% in the last year or so), which helps, but that could change by year's end.

Paso Robles...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Eve day (2015) in Punta del Este

Angeliika,

We will be on the same boat! I'll be interested in the relplies. I did read that hotels can arrange for horseback riding near Garzon if you are adventurous. There is also a good museum but it appears to be quite a distance so would probably require a tour or car.

Christin

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Eve day (2015) in Punta del Este

Thank you, PuntaLugano, for your wonderful suggestions. I love the idea of criss-crossing the peninsula and that is exactly what we'll plan on doing. Silly question but to get to the end of the peninsula - is it a walkable distance?

Christin - from what PuntaLugano wrote, although I love to ride, I think we will spend the day exploring the peninsula - just walking around and taking in the sights. BTW - we mostly live in Reno, NV, but we have a home in Santa Barbara, so we are practically neighbors! Have you checked out the Roll Call for this cruise on Cruise Critic? Lots of planning is already happening and private tours are already filling up. If you haven't checked it out already, you should - it's fun and you get to "meet" fellow travelers before the cruise.

Angelika

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Eve day (2015) in Punta del Este

You can easily walk to the end of the peninsula from either dock, it's only about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 miles. The peninsula is usually less than 200 yards wide, and not even 1/4 mile at its widest. I suggest you take a look on Google Earth -- you can see exactly what it looks like and even see close-up views.

Your ship will anchor in a big "bay" between a small island and the shore, on the river side of the peninsula. The best beaches are on the other side, the Atlantic Ocean side. As you walk around the peninsula you will see the Atlantic. It's worth taking a walk up the Atlantic coastline, maybe a couple of miles even. You will see beautiful beaches, beautiful people, and also have a view of some of the pretty nice ocean-view homes and low-rise ocean-view condos. The beach off which you will anchor is "Playa Mansa" or "calm beach." The Atlantic side is called "Playa Brava" or "wild beach." The names come from the normal state of the waters -- little or no waves on the Mansa, typical ocean waves on Brava.

Five to six hours is plenty of time to criss-cross the peninsula, browse some shops, have lunch, and still take the walk up Playa Brava and back. Even allowing for the fact you'll be tendered to and from shore, you should have more than that much time on shore.

Edited: 01 February 2015, 14:21
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Eve day (2015) in Punta del Este

Thank you again, PuntaLugano! We will be renting a car with another couple and plan on driving the coastal road to Punta Ballena to see Casapueblo, and then in the other direction to Jose Ignacio. The things we want to see are: Punta del Este Yacht Port, Salinas Point and Ajax Anchor,• Church and Lighthouse, Handicraft Market and local Primary School,• Gorlero Ave,• Emir Beach, The Candelaria Virgin and the Lujan’s shipwreck,• The Hand Sculpture (photo stop- a must)• Mansa Beach

It looks like we'll have a full day and we're all really excited! If you have any suggestions about the best way to do all of this, and where and when would be a good place to stop and eat, as always, I would appreciate your advice. With many thanks, Angelika

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Eve day (2015) in Punta del Este

Angelik,

We were at Casapueblo last week. I think it's great that you are renting a car. You'll be able to see a lot in the time you have. If the hours are the same as when we were there, they open at 10:00am and close at 8:00pm. You should double check before you go just in case the hours change. The admission fee was $8 each.

It's also a nice drive to Jose Ignancio. We enjoyed the beach and lunch at La Huella was great.

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Eve day (2015) in Punta del Este

There is no dock. You anchor in the bay and get ferried in to either one of two offloading points. Both you can walk from into town, the beaches & restaurants. Tour buses etc abound. All is safe & friendly. All will be open. Some shops will close later (9 or more) and Fireworks will be strong around midnight, but you will have gone.

8. Re: Christmas Eve day (2015) in Punta del Este

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2016, 01:17