We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta del Este vs. Montevideo

4 posts
Save Topic
Punta del Este vs. Montevideo

I am going to Montevideo in January for a Wedding. I am going to Argentina two days after the wedding. I was planning on spending the day in between in Montevideo on the beach and la rambla. But my friend suggested I spend the day in Punta Del Este. Is this feasible for one day? Is it worth it for only one day? Is it that much better than Montevideo?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,645 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta del Este vs. Montevideo

Yes, it is much better than Montevideo. The beaches going east of Montevideo are definetely much, much nicer.

Yes, it can be done in one day. The trip to Punta del Este by bus is about 2 hours each way. I would suggest renting a car though. There is plenty to see around Punta del Este.

If you want a shorter trip, take a bus to Piriapolis. You can pretty much walk every where there, and the beach is also gorgeous.

Now if laying on the beach all day it what you want to do and not spend part of it traveling, try going out of Montevideo a bit, maybe to Atlantida.

If you stay in Montevideo, I suggest you go to Carrasco beach and walk around that neighborhood. Carrasco has a much larger beach than closer to downtown, and unlikely to get full (like Pocitos would).

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta del Este vs. Montevideo

It's a little unclear how much time you have. If it's one day and you have to do all the travel on that day, I'd say yes, go to Punta del Este. If you can travel late one day and have the next full day somewhere else, I'd suggest going through Punta del Este and spending the next day in Jose Ignacio, about 20 miles up the coast from Punta del Este. Jose Ignacio is one of the world's best beach destinations, and the main beach restaurant there, La Huella, is -- seriously, by evidence of many polls - the world's best beach restaurant. If you can't make it to Jose Ignacio, Punta del Este will do -- it's a much more memorable place than Montevideo, and Montevideo itself ain't bad.

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta del Este vs. Montevideo

Let me put it this way. If, ten years from now at a cocktail party, you say you spent time in Montevideo, people will yawn. If you say you spent a day in Punta del Este -- or better yet, Jose Ignacio -- you will be the center of attention.

uruguay
Level Contributor
45 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta del Este vs. Montevideo

Hello, Adrienne, are you stay only one day in Uruguay after wedding? and before wedding? Montevideo is the capital, you can catch the tourism bus and visit the most important places, you can take a sight very quick.

After a wedding party, if it spends all night long, you will be a little tired.

În the other hand, Punta del Este is the most important spa in the region, has many beautiful beaches, luxury houses, but .... in only one day? iIt is not worth it, you should stay 2 days at least. Jose Ignacio takes more time still, it is a nice little village but not special for foreigners, it is quiet in comparison to Punta del Este, and fashionable place for argentinian reach people, nothing else. To go there you certainly need a car.

Are you going to Buenos Aires by ship or by plane? You can take both in Punta del Este as well as Montevideo.

So you have differents options. In January Punta del Este will be crowded and expensive, if you don't mind then go ahead, rent a car to visit it.

Other option is rent a car, take a view from Montevideo in the morning and go to Piriapolis in the afternoon and back to Montevideo at night. Piriapolis it is also a nice place, close to Montevideo.

Good luck, and enjoy, you should think to stay more days.

Regards

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta del Este vs. Montevideo

I like Montevideo and enjoy exploring the city, walking along the rambla and just rambling about, eating good meals.....and Punta del Este is incredible. Although I haven't been there in January (and I understand accommodations are a bit difficult to arrange for short periods of time in such high season) I have in February, and, well, it is something to write home about.

I must disagree a bit about Jose Ignacio; I think it is a gem. No, it doesn't have the glitz and glam of Paris or the sites of Prague....but it is a charming, beach town with wonderful, on the beach, shack-like restaurants with excellent atmosphere and food.

OP: your time is quite limited, so you will need to plan carefully - and then plan to return :)

6. Re: Punta del Este vs. Montevideo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2016, 01:16