We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IPhone simcard in Uruguay with plenty international minutes

1 post
Save Topic
IPhone simcard in Uruguay with plenty international minutes

Have a conference in Punta Del Este in May 2016 and looking for a local simcard for an Iphone to make a few calls locally. But mainly with lots of international minutes included mainly to call back to Australia. A few calls to the USA and NZ. Does anyone have some suggestions?

In other parts of the world like Europe we can take our normal cell phone, pay an extra USD7 days and receive and make calls using the Aussie cell phone #. But none of the countries in South America are available on such plans..

I have seen ANTEL website but it's hard to get a feel for what you can really buy from them simcard wise. www.antel.com.uy

I can use wi-fi and Skype when in the hotel or conference. But would prefer the ease of a simcard.

Thanks John

Edited: 11 December 2015, 00:32
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,609 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IPhone simcard in Uruguay with plenty international minutes

John,

I use an ANTEL SIM card with my iPhone but I don't need international minutes included. I suspect that would be quite expensive in Uruguay.

You can check Movistar's site too. But I think you'll be better off buying a SIM card and using your pre-paid balance to buy a data package every day, and use Skype. I didn't do it in my last trip, but was told that it is quite inexpensive and easy to do. Maybe you want to stop by ANTEL's office at the airport. Once you are out of the secured area, look to your right. You'll see it.

BTW, to use your iPhone locally, you'll need to make sure that: (a) It's not locked to your local carrier; and (b) upon arrival and just after you pick up your suitcase from the scanning machine, on the right, there's a window where you need to register it. If you don't do that, it won't work with ANTEL but may work with Movistar. Once you do this, you don't have to do it again in subsequent trips with same phone. I think they do this to prevent people from bringing stolen smartphones to the country, but not sure.

Silvia

PS: I don't know if there's MagicJack in Australia, that's what I use when I travel, and it works much better for me for local calls back than Skype.

Edited: 11 December 2015, 08:10
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,609 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IPhone simcard in Uruguay with plenty international minutes

Sorry, in my PS I meant to say for calls home, not local calls.

3. Re: IPhone simcard in Uruguay with plenty international minutes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2016, 00:18