We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2hr change at Santa Cruz

2hr change at Santa Cruz

Hi

I have a two hour domestic to international transfer at Santa Cruz. Arriving from La Paz at 19:45 and departing to Madrid 21:45. Is this going to be very tight? Flying with BoA both flights but presume I’ll have to collect my luggage and check in again?

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
263 posts
111 reviews
1. Re: 2hr change at Santa Cruz

Hi Christopher, I have a similar situation with a flight from La Paz to VVI and then onwards to Madrid. I'm flying with Amaszonas and then Air Europa as I suppose you do too. I have a little more than 3h stopover time in between. I have also heard that I will probably have to collect and recheck my luggage, but it would be nice if somebody could confirm that.

Have you booked your tickets as one? I guess in this case the airline would have to rebook you in the worst case. But seeing as the airport doesn't seem to be too big 2h will probably be enough time to complete everything.

When are you flying? Let us know how it went!

2. Re: 2hr change at Santa Cruz

Thanks for your response. Our tickets are booked as one so hopefully they may check the luggage through as it’s one carrier for both flights (Bolivian Avaicion) but who knows! We are flying on the 1st November.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
411 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: 2hr change at Santa Cruz

can anyone say if this is an efficient enough airport where a 2 hour layover is enough time to get the luggage and through customs?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4. Re: 2hr change at Santa Cruz

It depends upon when your flight arrives and whether or not there are other international arrivals. I arrive between 2200 and 0500 and I'm usually through with Immigration, Customs, and luggage retrieval in an hour or so. If there are other international flights arriving at the same time it may take longer though.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,291 posts
660 reviews
5. Re: 2hr change at Santa Cruz

This is sufficient time if original flights leaves on time.

La Paz, Bolivia
Level Contributor
232 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: 2hr change at Santa Cruz

2 hours in Santa Cruz is plenty of time. Both for exititing the country and entering to make connections.

If you booked your entire journey in one go, your bags will be transfered from one plane to the next, so you will enter Viru Viru and go straight through to the departure lounge for you next flight. There is usually an attendant calling out for people, so listen carefully for someone shouting out your destination as you get off the plane and enter the airport.

If you booked your flight to Santa Cruz and then your next destination independantly (2 seperate bookings), you will need to collect your bags and check in again at the counter. Anything less than 2 hours is a risk (since you're supposed to be ready for an international flight 2 hours before, but 1 hour minimum).

Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
263 posts
111 reviews
7. Re: 2hr change at Santa Cruz

Travelled from La Paz through Santa Cruz to Madrid yesterday and experienced exactly what the previous poster said. An attendant was already waiting as I arrived with Amaszonas Air and pointed me to the counter where I was handed me my onward boarding passes (I had received only a printed "receipt" upon checking in in LPB). My luggage was checked through from LPB to my final destination in Munich as I had bought the ticket in one booking. No problems at all. Amaszonas just forwarded it to Air Europa.

It took a while to get through security check again and through the emigration process, I would say an hour in total. That gave me plenty of time to have coffee and a snack before boarding my international flight.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,291 posts
660 reviews
8. Re: 2hr change at Santa Cruz

Thanks for sharing your experience and glad it worked for you.

La Paz
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: 2hr change at Santa Cruz

as with most things in Bolivia " it depends" - I have been through hellish waits in Santa Cruz after travelling from La Paz on route to Madrid. I have had La Paz migration completely mess up the process and leave me having to go through international migration process twice. I had a 3 hour gap between flights (boa booked with BOA) and I only just made it and that was because I spoke with an airport official in santa cruz and explained what had happened and he manage to "fast track" me.

Hopefully you will have less problems but if you do experience any speak with an airport security official and explain and they should be able to help you jump queues if it looks like you wouldnt make it in time.

Reply to: 2hr change at Santa Cruz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted