We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from La Paz to Santa Cruz Bolivia

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from La Paz to Santa Cruz Bolivia

Thought I'd provide some advice on this topic as we couldn't find any recent information about this. We just travelled from la Paz to Santa Cruz in Bolivia and were preparing for a nightmare bus ride as busses in Bolivia don't seem to be too crash hot. The experience was the exact opposite. We ended up buying a ticket with a company that we were recommended by a bus employee in cusco. The company we went with was called trans cococabana. We paid 170 bolivianos and got on a semi cams bus that had 3 rows, which is great. It was a double decker bus of the same quality of buses in Argentina and Peru. Bus left 7 pm and got to Santa Cruz at around noon. No food was provided on the bus but stopped at a breakfast place I stead which served great local food. I. Short this was the best bus ride we had in Bolivia even comparing to some tourist busses.

Note that at the bus terminal there are 2 companies trans cococabana and trans cococabana emp #1 we took trans cococabana sa but think the emp #1 is great too.

Please note that there is also a ,tourist, bus you can book through kanoo tours for twice the price 50 us. Can't comment on this service but it might be an option.

Other option is tam Bolivia whi fly together with boa. Note that aerosur seems to have gone bust but their website is still operational. Suggest you book through kanoo tours if your flying or go direct to the airline company.

In short we were surprised at the excellent bus service provided by trans cococabana. Any questions let me know on sdekruijff@yahoo.com.

Cheers

Fowlerville...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from La Paz to Santa Cruz Bolivia

Thanks for the information. I am hoping to travel by bus from Lima to La PaZ and o to Santa Cruz. How did you cope with the altitude. Does coca LEAF TEA HELP AND IF SO, HOW MANY GALLONS??THANKS AGAIN

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from La Paz to Santa Cruz Bolivia

Sue - what works for one person might not work for another. Drink the tea as you would any tea.

Drink lots of water and avoid heavy meals, especially at night.

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from La Paz to Santa Cruz Bolivia

Thanks for the message! This is very helpful. I am planning on traveling the opposite direction, from Santa Cruz to La Paz on bus, and stopping in Chapare, Cochabamba as I make my way to La Paz.

Does any one have any suggestions or have taken this bus trip before??

hannover
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from La Paz to Santa Cruz Bolivia

no not really experience, but i am also planing a trip from santa cruz to la paz. i´m actually not sure if i´ll take a little plane by kanoo or a normal nightbus.i´m alone on my way and my biggest fear is that my bag could be stolen at the busstorage.so donu how safe it is...

emrich.beau@yahoo.de

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from La Paz to Santa Cruz Bolivia

Hi guys,

I'm also travelling from Santa Cruz to La Paz and tossing up between getting the bus or just booking a flight. Since I will be travelling solo and only have 2 days to get from Santa Cruz to La Paz, would flying be a better option?

Thanks for any advise/comments

- Tyah

London
Level Contributor
106 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from La Paz to Santa Cruz Bolivia

If you're doing the Santa Cruz to La Paz bus journey make sure to have plenty of warm clothes handy when you get on the bus. I did this journey and as we got the last 2 tickets for a bus that was literally pulling out of the bus station I still had jeans and a t shirt on. Safe to say when you get to La Paz the temperature is very different. Last thing you need to be doing when you're at that altitude at 6am is scrambling through your pack trying to find another 5 layers to chuck on...

montreal
Level Contributor
203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from La Paz to Santa Cruz Bolivia

im looking for bus from LaPaz to samaipata directly,it is possible,how long take bus

montreal
Level Contributor
203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from La Paz to Santa Cruz Bolivia

im looking for bus from LaPaz to samaipata directly,it is possible,how long take bus

9. Re: Bus from La Paz to Santa Cruz Bolivia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 00:15