We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our experience getting Bolivian tourist visas

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
74 reviews
Our experience getting Bolivian tourist visas

Several questions have been raised on this forum regarding how to obtain a tourist visa for Bolivia so am sharing what we have learned.

The cost for the visa in advance is $160 in US dollars.

It is good for 5 or 10 years (Consulate website is inconsistent)--will let you know what the actual visa says once we get it back next week.

Although the Consulate in Washington DC claims that you should be able to submit your visa application online, we found this did not work at all. You enter your email address and they are supposed to send you a validation code. We never received the validation code via email to complete our application. We tried two separate email addresses multiple times--nothing arrived.

So, my husband took all of the paperwork etc. down to the Consulate in Washington DC yesterday. After telling him that he should have entered the information online (which we tried but were unsuccessful doing), they entered the information onto the online form, printed it out (same form you have to fill out but it now included a scan of the photo at the top of the first page) and said he can come back next week to pick up the visas.

What you need to have in hand:

Sworn Statement For Visa Application

One recent 2" x 2" passport type photograph

Original Passport with at least 6 months of validity

Copy of the hotel reservation or invitation letter from Bolivian friends or relatives indicating the host address (if invitation letter is from friend or family, it must be personal, institutional invitations is only for Specific Purpose Visa)

Round trip ticket or copy of travel itinerary

Bank statement or equivalent that shows economic solvency (Please note that the validity of the document should be for at least the travel period). Parent's or Legal Guardian's Economic Solvency documents are accepted for underage applicants.

Visa fee: US$ 160.00

Here is a link to more information and where you can start the process online (if you are so lucky): http://www.boliviawdc.org/consulate/visas/tv

If you are successful in getting the validation code, then you can proceed with submitting it online, but, will have to scan all documents including the photo before uploading the documentation.

52 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: Our experience getting Bolivian tourist visas

Forgot to mention that we also took our yellow fever vaccination records. They did not keep them, but, just looked at them.

CHICAGO, ILL. USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Our experience getting Bolivian tourist visas

I will go to Bolivia on Sep/24 from Chicago. Have the pravite tour on 9/27 for the 3D2N Salt Flats tour. Then go to Argentina on 9/30. Looking for 2D1N tour in there before I take off on 10/4 to the IguazuFalls. On 10/6 evening, I wll be in Brazil (GIG) for 5 day stay.Looking for the 3D2N or 2D1N tour too.Take off back to USA on 10/11.

My passport will exp in April ,2016 next year. Should I renew the passport befor to apply the vise for Bolivia & Brazil ? Any advise? I'm going to Iceland on July/5 for 8 days vacation for my birthday. After I'm back I will do the visa by the way. Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate your time. Any good hotel suggest to stay at those place? What's the best way to handle those curreny?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: Our experience getting Bolivian tourist visas

Hi--My understanding is that you need at least 6 months remaining on your passport and you may not have that--depends upon the actual date of travel and expiration date of your passport. You may find that you actually have less than 6 months remaining.

No one answered when we called the consulate so that is why my husband traveled down to see them directly.

Your other questions should be placed in a separate posting since they do not pertain to the original subject.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
74 reviews
4. Re: Our experience getting Bolivian tourist visas

Picked up visas yesterday. Took just week to process in Washington dc. The visas are for ten (10) years.

California
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Our experience getting Bolivian tourist visas

So they wanted the yellow fever vaccination proof? I'm trying to avoid the shot because it's expensive -- $150 x 4 of us going. Ugh!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
340 reviews
6. Re: Our experience getting Bolivian tourist visas

If you do not live near Washington DC, just get your visa in La Paz airport, they are ready to issue them upon arrival and it is cheaper then $160

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
7. Re: Our experience getting Bolivian tourist visas

Is getting the visa at La Paz airport still available after that May 1, 2015 rule change? I saw on the Bolivian DC consulate website said no longer can get at border but LA consulate website says you can. Anyone see first hand at airport what other Americans did?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
74 reviews
8. Re: Our experience getting Bolivian tourist visas

We wanted to get the visa in advance since know that the altitude affects us. And, didn't want to worry about missing our next flight in case our flight from Cuzco is delayed. We will be in the La Paz airport for a few hours while waiting for our flight to Rurrenbaque.

Boulder
Level Contributor
22 posts
52 reviews
9. Re: Our experience getting Bolivian tourist visas

We flew into La Paz on June 22nd. Got our visas on arrival. Took a while (maybe an hour or more?) as we were the very last in line.

Cost $160 each. You MUST have bills with NO tears on the edges. They inspect every single one and reject any that are not perfect.

You will also receive a little slip of green paper. I'm told losing it before you leave Bolivia will cause a ruckus and delay.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
74 reviews
10. Re: Our experience getting Bolivian tourist visas

So costs exactly the same as getting it in advance at consulate. Your post confirmed our thoughts that didn't want to be standing in line unnecessarily in La Paz airport.

Reply to: Our experience getting Bolivian tourist visas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted