We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Colombia, Bogota

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to Colombia, Bogota

Hey guys,

Me and my friend are visiting Colombia in November. We are thinking about going to Bogota, Cali and Medellin for sure and maybe visit some places around the coast.

After reading a lot about safety we got a little bit scared. We are just two girls, around mid twenties who don't speak Spanish at all. The reason we decided to go to Colombia is because we got a couple of friends living in Cali. They will join us in Cali but aren't able to join us at the other places. We already asked them about safety and they said it won't be that bad if we are just careful. Even though they've said that I still wanted to have some other opinions as well and hopefully some reassuring.

Also we would like to know what places you guys would recommend visiting and some tips about accommodation and activities.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Cali
Cali
Valle del Cauca Department, Colombia
Medellin
Medellin
Antioquia Department, Colombia
12 replies to this topic
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Colombia, Bogota

Read this thread:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g297478…

I do think it is a good idea to learn a few Spanish phrases. And take a phrasebook.

You only mention cities. If it were my trip I would add a few colonial villages. Salento for example. And/or Jardin. Cartagena is of course beautiful and then you could also go to Santa Marta for Tayrona (hiking, beaches, wildlife) and Minca (waterfalls, swimming holes, birds, hiking...). We don't know how long you have or what your interests are.

Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia
Santa Marta
Santa Marta
Santa Marta District, Colombia
Tayrona National Park
Tayrona National Park
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Colombia, Bogota

Thank you for your message. We have three and a half weeks to visit Colombia. I would love to check out some villages as well, as long as it is safe for us to go there by ourselves.

As far as it comes to learning Spanish I know a little bit as I have studied Spanish but I am not very good at it. I just know the basics but I will try to improve myself the following months.

If you have any more advice or tips please do share! Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Medellin
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Colombia, Bogota

From Medellin try and visit:

- Guatape and El Penol. A lake with a massive rock you can climb. Easy day trip.

- Sante Fe De Antioquia. Colonial town, very close and easy day trip. Very hot.

- Jardin - amazing pueblo, a very long day trip (35 hours each way), or go overnight.

- Tamesis - as per Jardin. Beautiful scenery and trek up a mountain to rappel down a waterfall.

In Cali, as your friends about San Cipriano. A beautiful liite pueblo that you have to take modified carts that run on a rail track to get too. Lovely river - overnight trip.

See if you can fit Cali in - the most touristic place in Colombia, for good reason.

Nearer to Cali, there is also Salento (next to Armenia) a stunning mountain town with the tallest wax palms in the world.

Mentioned in this post
Medellin
Medellin
Guatape
Guatape
Cali
Cali
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Armenia
Armenia
Quindio Department, Colombia
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Colombia, Bogota

Maybe Bogota 2 nights. Cali no idea (I have not been there and I don't know how long you want to stay with your friends). Salento 3 nights. Manizales 2 nights. Jardin 2-3 nights. Medellin 4 nights (we liked the day trip to El Penol and Guatape). Cartagena 3 nights. Santa Marta 1 night. Tayrona 2 nights. Minca 1-2 nights.

My Spanish is very basic and I got by just fine. But it is good to have some Spanish or to at least try which is much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Manizales
Manizales
Caldas Department, Colombia
Medellin
Medellin
Guatape
Guatape
Cartagena
Cartagena
Santa Marta
Santa Marta
Tayrona National Park
Tayrona National Park
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Colombia, Bogota

You will need to be VERY careful in Bogota (my son was just there - it's the wild wild west there - especially Candelaria). He was told that Cali was worse (that's not substantiated, just what he was told). He's in Cartagena right now and says it feels much safer. I'm not normally somebody that is an alarmist; you can get robbed anywhere. But Bogota is crazy. Enjoy your trip!!

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Cali
Cali
Cartagena
Cartagena
6. Re: Traveling to Colombia, Bogota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 July 2017, 14:54

7. Re: Traveling to Colombia, Bogota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 July 2017, 17:05

Manizales, Colombia
Level Contributor
242 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Colombia, Bogota

I have my doubts about this Police app.

The greatest risk out on the street is of property theft and one of the first things that thieves go for is the cellphone.

You will not have a chance to get your phone out and launch the app.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Colombia, Bogota

Ia m very surprised to read this topic. Wild wild west in Bogota? I wonder where your son has been in Bogota?

If you stay in Chapinero, or the zonas T or G than I can't believe something bad will happen to you. My favorite spot is VIRREY PARK and I can walk there 24/7 on the streets...no problem at all.

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Hotel Virrey Park
Hotel Virrey Park
264 Reviews
Bogota, Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Colombia, Bogota

Hello,

I agree with Thomas, as a European expat Bogota has a lot of really cool and safe zones! Also Usaqen is amazing, Santa Barbara, etc. If you have any question just let me know I am happy to help you because I am just building up a touristic service agency around Bogota (day trips from Bogota). Enjoy Colombia, Peter

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Reply to: Traveling to Colombia, Bogota
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted