We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Experience Nightlife Safely in Bogota

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
How to Experience Nightlife Safely in Bogota

Hi,

I will be in Bogota quite soon for a short stay of 5 days. I was wondering if you guys could provide some safety tips particularly for experiencing Bogota's famous nightlife. I am myself a very late sleeper, particularly while on holiday (seems a bit of a waste of money to sleep all your time away). I always wanted to see little of Colombia but i do know there are some safety issue in the city of Bogota. I'm guessing i won't be walking around alone after dark, as i do in London, or have done in Barcelona, Sofia and even cities and towns in Costa Rica, which i visited last year. Do I basically pick out destination, restaurant, club or disco before heading out and take the cab there and back? Are there no-go places after dark? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

The True Colombian Experience
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours
Bogota Pub Crawl
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Food Tours
Theatron
Dance Clubs & Discos, Gay Clubs & Bars
9 replies to this topic
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to Experience Nightlife Safely in Bogota

Try to to go out in a group, don't get falling down drunk, stay away from drugs and prepagos and you should be fine.

Manizales, Colombia
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How to Experience Nightlife Safely in Bogota

If you are heading to restaurants or discos you are unlikely to find yourself in a dangerous area, and it will be OK to stroll from place to place as long as there are still lots of people around.

There are several areas in Bogota where the night life is concentrated but you want to stay close by as the surroundings can be dodgy.

After dark always take taxis to the door of your hotel.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to Experience Nightlife Safely in Bogota

Zona Rosa, Park 93 are areas full of bars and clubs and you can walk around between them taking normal precautions ( and Usaquen for bars).

If you go out in Candalaria, at night take a taxi.

Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to Experience Nightlife Safely in Bogota

Hi,

Bicks is right: Zona Rosa is perfect to go out! Chapinero district too.

I wrote an article about safety on Quora if you want to read it.

https:/…Thomas-Espeute

Enjoy Bogota!

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to Experience Nightlife Safely in Bogota

Hello,

Zona T and Zona Rosa is a good zone to go out - in the zone you can walk without any problem, there are a lot of bars, restaurants, clubs. You can also use uber, it is cheap and really good! If you need any help just let me know, I am living Bogota for 6 months as a European expat.

Peter

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to Experience Nightlife Safely in Bogota

Zona Rosa is a safe and fun area to go out. Well of course when in the streets at midnight or 3am, keep your belongings safe, keep alert. The streets are packed with party people, but of course some pick pockets are taking advantage of all these drunk people. Don't hail a taxi in the street. Use an app from your cellphone (Tappsi or Easytaxi) or even use Uber.

Try to party in group, and stay in group. Don't use drugs, don't buy drugs, be cautious with these "very friendly" girls who are ready to go to your hotel. They are all over these bars and discotheques.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
846 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to Experience Nightlife Safely in Bogota

I don't think Chapinero (traditionally defined) is all that safe compared to Zona Rosa. Galerías (Carrera 27 between 52 and 53) is pretty heavily policed and you shouldn't have a problem there...sure, that's where the US military guys started their evening that ended up with them losing their cash and government-issued computers, but you;ll be more careful than they were, and you'll likely be a less inviting target.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to Experience Nightlife Safely in Bogota

Do not take a taxi from the street; only have the club or restaurant or hotel call it for you. Use uber or tappsi is even better...I was assaulted and robbed by a taxista.

Otherwise I felt very safe in Bogota. You take the same precautions everywhere by not giving papaya: no flashing money or expensive stuff in the streets :)

Have fun. Visit Monserrate!

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to Experience Nightlife Safely in Bogota

Rubiaubia - sorry to hear that, it is not often I have heard of an assault from taxi. If by any off chance you managed to remember the plate number of the taxi, make a denuncia at the police station.

Reply to: How to Experience Nightlife Safely in Bogota
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted