We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Fever Vaccination in Bogotá Airport

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Yellow Fever Vaccination in Bogotá Airport

I've seen some conflicting information on the web about yellow fever vaccinations at the El Dorado airport. I just got a vaccination today (Aug. 2017). There is the Fontibon Hospital on the Second Floor (Departures Level) tucked in the back of the terminal (I had to ask the people at the Information Desk where it was, as it's not listed on the map).

There's a small lobby where people wait. You register at a computer where you pick up a number, which essentially puts you in line. You need some form of identification (e.g., passport) and you need to sign some forms. I have 0 Spanish and I managed to get through just fine, but some basic Spanish definitely won't hurt. In all, I had to wait for 7 people ahead of me and the whole process took about 30 minutes (including the waiting).

I'm currently living in Bogotá, though, so I have some time before taking trips into the jungle (Macarena, Leticia, etc.). Having just set up a trip to Macarena with a travel agency, my understanding is that you cannot board planes at El Dorado that are headed to 'at-risk' areas without the documentation that says you got vaccinated. Maybe the travel agency just wanted to scare me into getting the vaccine, but I wasn't going to roll the dice. In any case, it seems like the Colombian government has doubled down on making sure that everyone has yellow fever vaccinations before traveling to areas where people might contract yellow fever.

18 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination in Bogotá Airport

Thanks for sharing this experience with us. I have a round trip to Rio with a layover in Bogota. Need to get the vaccination as well coming back to Bogota from Rio. I figure I will get the shot at the airport where you suggested before my trip. Any thoughts

Edited: 19 November 2017, 18:07
Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination in Bogotá Airport

I travelled to Leticia last year, and they didn't check for the yellow fever vaccination card. But I read earlier this year, that they may start checking to do so. Best to carry it with you, if you have it.

Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination in Bogotá Airport

Thanks for this post. It is very helpful! I am heading to Colombia from the US and I'm wondering if I could get it done there instead of in the US. If I do get it done there I'll post my update here on TripAdvisor.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination in Bogotá Airport

Remember you are supposed to get the yellow fever shot 10 days before entering a yellow fever zone. So you can't just get the vaccine and go to Leticia on the same day.

Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination in Bogotá Airport

Stephane501, I am not heading to a Yellow-Fever at-risk area after Bogota. Additionally, I do understand that there is a 10-day period within which one has to wait before traveling to an at-risk area; it's all over the internet bro but thanks for the reminder.

Edited: 11 December 2017, 19:22
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination in Bogotá Airport

Thanks so much for posting this info. I’m in the airport in Bogotá and noticed the red cross is located right beside the domestic avianca desks (second floor of airport). Got my yellow fever vaccine there a few minutes ago for 83 000 COP. It was super easy and there was no wait - whole process lasted about 10 min!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination in Bogotá Airport

Just returned from Bogota in March 2018 and getting the Yellow Fever shot could not have been easier at the Bogota Eldorado airport.

My wife and I each got a free shot by going to the Fontibon clinic on the 2nd floor near entrance #5 at Departures. Take a number as soon as you go in from the machine and wait your turn. It took us about 30 minutes and we each got a shot after showing our passport and filling out a short general health questionnaire.

Couldn't have been much easier and the staff was very friendly and helpful, even if they did not speak English.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination in Bogotá Airport

If I am stopping at Bogotá just for a connection flight, staying there for 2 h, coming from Brazil. Do I need the yellow fever vaccination for that??

Thanks in advance!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination in Bogotá Airport

I don't know. We got the shot for future travel to the Amazon and Africa.

Schiedam, The...
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination in Bogotá Airport

You do not need Yellow fever shots in Bogota.

Only in Yellow fever areas like the west coast and the Amazon.

Reply to: Yellow Fever Vaccination in Bogotá Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted