We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crucial questions!!! Need help please...

Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Crucial questions!!! Need help please...

Dear friends,

We are two friends and have four days in Bogota and Medellin, arriving on OCT16. What is the weather like in these places? I hope Guatepe will besunny

Need help for crucial questions.

Exchange USD or withdraw Money from ATM?

4 days prepaid simcard on data like 2 GB each? And how much it could be…and where to have it?

Transfer from BOGOTA airport to city center vice versa ? Efficient and budget way.

Transfer from Medellin airport to city center and vice versa?

Where to take bus to guatepe from medellin and how to go bus station? Where to drop off for visiting Peñón?

Any place, restaurant, cafe, attraction would be welcome with details please.

Thanks in advance…

Greetings from Turkey….

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
905 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Crucial questions!!! Need help please...

Kindly consult prior discussion threads. Not everything can be answered from scratch every time.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,141 posts
288 reviews
2. Re: Crucial questions!!! Need help please...

I can only help with some of your questions.

"Exchange USD or withdraw Money from ATM?" It has always proven easier for me to withdraw from ATM than exchanging USD. Usually, I also get a much better exchange rate from my bank than the FE offered in Bogota.

If you decide to exchange, just don't do it at the airport. Like all airports, the FE rates you get are terribly low.

"4 days prepaid simcard on data like 2 GB each? And how much it could be…and where to have it?" I can't give you an exact cost but it is super cheap. I purchased a SIM card from Claro a few years ago, and I'm still able to use it for every trip. About $14 USD for 2gb for 30 days. I never need that much as Facebook, WhatsApp, and Twitter are included for free in some packages. Take a look: claro.com.co/personas/…

I purchased it at a Claro shop at a shopping center, but search this forum, I'm pretty certain that people have said you can buy a SIM at the airport.

"Transfer from BOGOTA airport to city center vice versa ? Efficient and budget way." I do Uber on the way back to the airport as I'm usually picked up by family members. Airport to city center is not expensive (compared to other countries). I think last time I paid around $15 USD.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Crucial questions!!! Need help please...

As Expat-in-Cabarete mentioned:

2Gb data: 42,900 Colombian pesos with Claro. Plus 5,000 for the sim card. Approx. $18.

The most efficient way to transfer from the airport to the city: Regular yellow cabs. Usually, cost will be between 25 and 30,000 pesos (around $10). Since you are two, thisis $5 per person.

From the city to the airport, I would prefer Uber,. UberX service is not more expensive than a taxi, and the level of service is better.

I would not take Uber from the airport because first, it is always a bit of a hassle to find your Uber, and second, there is a legal fight going on between the government and Uber. The service is until now considered as illegal. Police forces, helped by taxi drivers, especially at the airport, are chasing Uber cars. Who needs to be pulled out from a car and forced to take a taxi after a 5 or 6 hrs flight in a foreign country, with limited knowledge of the language...

Exchange vs ATM: You'll get a better rate at the ATM despite the fee your bank will charge you. And it's more convenient. Just tell your bank you will travel to Colombia so that they do not consider your withdrawals as suspicious and block your card.

Weather in Bogota, usually in the 60 F (62 to 68 usually), frequent rainshowers over the day (usually in the afternoon), casted sky with some nice but short sunnier episodes. Nights are colder, 45 to 50 F.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
197 reviews
4. Re: Crucial questions!!! Need help please...

You can buy a SIM card in Bogota Airport from Techport on the upper level (Departures level).

ATM's - They can be expensive depending on your card. Most ATms offer a low amount of cash that can be taken out ie 300,000 pesos to 600,000 pesos, which an add up with back fees. I use a Citibank card, and use the citibank ATM's - they alow 1,500,000 per time, and I pay no fees. My withdrawl amount on 1,500,000 in AUD was 1 AUD less than the exchange rate listed on XE last week, which I was pretty happy with.

Yellow taxis from the airport are fine. Make sure they turn on the meter and download an app called calculadora de tarifas (for Bogota) which will give you the exact rate you need to pay compared to the taxi meter number.

As per Stephane for Uber - people have been stopped by the police (on these forum reports).

Do not miss Andres Carne de Res disco / restaurant.

MEDELLIN

Use the white taxis. The fee is 65,000 pesos set to Poblado; 57,000 from Poblado to the airport. Ypou can also use a bus and to the city and then take a taxi. Or, you can use a shared taxi.

Guatape - Take a taxi or metro to the North Bus station (Metro at Caribe Station). From there, purchase a ticket to Guatape (counters 9 / 14). Ask the driver to let you off at La Piedra (el Penol) to see the rock on the way. From the rock, you can take a moto taxi onto the town for a few pesos. You cal also do a tour - www.colombianpaddlers.com offers some.

Medellin Eating. Try Tres Tipicos restaurant in Provenza Poblado for typical meals. The Ajiaco is my favourite - medium portion is fine, unless you are a larger person.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,574 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Crucial questions!!! Need help please...

Guatape: we took the metro to Caribe. That station is connected to the northern bus terminal. The bus to Guatape took 2 hours. We got off at El Penol (before Guatape) and climbed the rock. Then we walked to Guatape: there is actually a trail next to the road. You can also wait for the bus or a jeep or take a moto-taxi.

Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Crucial questions!!! Need help please...

Thank you all,

I got great response for Sım Car, Airport Transfer and ATm issues:)

I take them all as advise:D keep it ... Many Thanks again...D

7. Re: Crucial questions!!! Need help please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2018, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Bogota