We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hideaway Island Resort - dinner options

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Diane_in_SA
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hideaway Island Resort - dinner options

Hi all

Just booked up a week at Hideaway Island Resort for next April, and really looking forward to it. Continental breakfast is included for us, but I'm wondering what most people who stay there do for dinners... do you eat at the resort, or head across and eat in the town? I've read that the cafe at Hideaway does great lunches, but not found much mention of dinners - does anyone know if the hotel does any sort of half board option that you can book when you arrive, so that you've got it sorted, or would that not be worth doing?

We have kids who will be 14 and 17 when we go, and are hoping to spend most days snorkelling, diving, with a little bit of exploring onland thrown in. I don't think the bungalow we have booked has kitchen facilities, although it does have a fridge, so we'll probably just graze for lunches, but it would be nice to not have to go seeking restaurants every night.

Thanks in advance for your help and tips

New Zealand
Level Contributor
212 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hideaway Island Resort - dinner options

can't help with restaurant on Hideaway, we've only had snacks from there the couple of times we've visited, but the little boat that takes you over to hideway runs 24/7 so you should be able to go into town for meals and still get back to the island no bother. Try eating at the market in PORT VILA - meals about 400 vt each - we found that a great experience for our kids - we had dinners and lunches there - all cooked food, we didn't go for the food that was pre-prepared (ie lap lap with chicken or fish) and had no bothers with funny tummies. For land based activities, try Evergreen to do around the island trip, they'll stop at all the interesting places, good value and Ni-Van owned and operated.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hideaway Island Resort - dinner options

The Beach Bar at the Hideaway Wharf (Vila side) is nice and close for you. They have a good variety of meals, wood fired pizza, curries etc. They also have fire dancers on Friday nights sometimes and other events so check out their schedule when you arrive.

Not far up the road is the Warhorse Saloon Bar & Brewery. They do Tex Mex, ribs, BBQ etc and have an onsite micro brewery. 150vt each bus fare for you to get there from the Hideaway Wharf (or just walk there) or a bit more to go to the many restaurants 10 mins away in town.

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hideaway Island Resort - dinner options

I am sitting here at hideaway typing this!!! We leave here tomorrow :o(

Its about a 15 min bus ride into town from hideaway to go to many good restaurants. We have eaten here a couple of times and its been good. We ate at the beach bar on the mainland side the other night and it was ok. Up the road is the warhorse saloon and we have had 2 excellent meals there this week.

Getting back at night time isnt a problem. husband and i came back after 10pm last night and a boat was sent over to get us. there is a security guard 24 hours on the mainland.

im sure you and your kids will love hideaway, I will be sad to leave here tomorrow

Diane_in_SA
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hideaway Island Resort - dinner options

Thanks everyone for your answers, really helpful as ever.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hideaway Island Resort - dinner options

Hmmmmm Beach Bar Chicken Pizza. Worth a flight there and back just for that!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hideaway Island Resort - dinner options

Jody my envy meter just went off.

Where are you now?

Diane_in_SA
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hideaway Island Resort - dinner options

Only a week to go now...boy, am I ready for a holiday! Looking forward to trying out all the suggestions you wonderful helpful people have given me.. will try and get organised and write a trip report on my return!

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hideaway Island Resort - dinner options

hideaway did great curries for dinner as well as steak, pizza's, etc. tbone was good value, pizza's were good as well.

their dinner options overall were good, some excellant/some average

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hideaway Island Resort - dinner options

I hope you have a wonderful time Diane, anything else you think of please don't hesitate to keep asking questions. But most of all, make sure you DO come back and write a trip report and maybe some reviews, to let us know how you find it. I find it helpful to keep a bit of a journal each day just so I don't forget what happened.

10. Re: Hideaway Island Resort - dinner options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:40