We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another currency question

Stockholm
Level Contributor
785 posts
54 reviews
36 helpful votes
Another currency question

We are travelling to Myanmar in a couple of weeks and have prebooked a weekly roundtrip with Santa Maria (hotels, flights and guide incl). I wonder approx how much US dollars we need for the trip? As there are ATM 's available is it still very important with new and hardley used $100- bills for pocket money? As the major costs are prepayed, where dowe need the dollar bills?

Kind regards!

Pelle

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
28 helpful votes
1. Re: Another currency question

Was there Feb 4 to 18, just got back. The place is not as fussy as before. Still best to change $100 US bills at a bank. I tried to use US and Kyats. In retrospect should have used just kyats. I got 980 kyats per $. There are ATMS everywhere, even in the Temples.

Karratha, Australia
3 posts
1 review
2. Re: Another currency question

Can you use the ATM's we are travelling there in April , but will have Australian Visa and Mastercards, or should we bring cash with us? Cheers

Stockholm
Level Contributor
785 posts
54 reviews
36 helpful votes
3. Re: Another currency question

Thanks for the answer!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
108 reviews
102 helpful votes
4. Re: Another currency question

I just got back. I did not have to use $US dollars anywhere! Of course I took them, like everyone else but exchanged them all into local currency throughout my trip.

If I went again I'd just withdraw from an ATM to save the double conversion from Australian dollars and the angst of having to keep the $US pristine. There are ATMs in alot of places visited by tourists now.

I saw many people have their $US rejected by banks, money changers and hotel reception because their $US notes had tiny insignificant creases or marks.

If you intend to withdraw from an ATM, check with your local bank first to make sure that you have the right type of card. I'd do my homework though, some banks charge ridiculous fees for using cards oversees. I took the Citibank card from Australia, which has no fees at all.

FYI money changers and banks were all changing Euro Singapore dollar and pristine $US notes. Some changed other currency like baht too.

Edited: 10 years ago
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
108 reviews
102 helpful votes
5. Re: Another currency question

I just got back. I did not have to use $US dollars anywhere! Of course I took them, like everyone else but exchanged them all into local currency throughout my trip.

If I went again I'd just withdraw from an ATM to save the double conversion from Australian dollars and the angst of having to keep the $US pristine. There are ATMs in alot of places visited by tourists now.

I saw many people have their $US rejected by banks, money changers and hotel reception because their $US notes had tiny insignificant creases or marks.

If you intend to withdraw from an ATM, check with your local bank first to make sure that you have the right type of card. I'd do my homework though, some banks charge ridiculous fees for using cards oversees. I took the Citibank card from Australia, which has no fees at all.

FYI money changers and banks were all changing Euro, Singapore dollar and pristine $US notes. Some changed other currency like baht too.

Edited: 10 years ago
Karratha, Australia
3 posts
1 review
6. Re: Another currency question

Thanks for the info Wandering_Ozzie

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
7. Re: Another currency question

Thank you Burning Flame and Wandering_Ozzie for your help.. Solves my woe with getting brand new US Bills... IF Singapore Dollars is accepted by banks. I'm a happy lark.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
175 posts
80 reviews
181 helpful votes
8. Re: Another currency question

Any idea anyone about comparisons of exchange rate in exchanging USD at a bank downtown vs. airport exchange counter vs. hotel vs using the ATMs? I understand all the ATMs charge a 5000 kyat fee.

Thanks everyone.

Hoddesdon, United...
11 posts
9. Re: Another currency question

The exchange rate in Banks is 980 per $ ,but it depand in the amount you change. so try to change not less than 100$.

It is much more in banks compare hotels and airports.

Budget :for two people for 2 weeks :700 $ (resturants,transportation -not include flights-enterance fees,tips...)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
10. Re: Another currency question

Thank You. This has been excellent help. I have a Citibank card and will use that now. Adding up all the bits and pieces is all adding up as I'm travelling alone. I was going to do the crisp $US number but I will be able to scale it down knowing there are ATM's around. Was it about $10 from the airport in Yangoon to the city. Everytime I reseach it the price changes. Did you by any chance go to the puppet show/shop while you were there?? Can't wait to go Thanks again Tracey

Get answers to your questions about Yangon (Rangoon)
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.