We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

e-visa

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
59 reviews
51 helpful votes
e-visa

I am going to Egypt from Canada in less than three weeks. I was not aware that I could get an e-visa. Can anyone advise how much it costs and how long it will take? Also do I need to use a third party to do that? Sorry for all the questions.

386 replies to this topic
Port Ghalib, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
26 reviews
61 helpful votes
31. Re: e-visa

That is my point Spin you have put the official web site.

I am just asking why people that know the Visa is $25 Are you using an agent site to pay up to $70?

I am not saying do not use the official site if you can get it to work.

I do understand the reason in some but those with a qualifying passport it is just a simple process on arrival and takes little time.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
12 reviews
14 helpful votes
32. Re: e-visa

I think basically they are confused re which site to use, not knowingly condone overcharging, but why go through this while you can get it in a few minutes a the airport is a totally another story. I also mean to confirm it is working perfectly and fast too, no bugs no problems whatsoever, just step by step, guided by the help notes that appear as you fill in each field.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,062 posts
28 reviews
38 helpful votes
33. Re: e-visa

“...guided by the help notes that appear as you fill in each field.”

These aren’t always as clear as they could be, a lost-in-translation problem that some people may find confusing. In the password field, for example, the note reads “no more than two equal characters in a row”. Ambiguous but I naturally assumed that this meant I couldn’t use the same character twice in succession but, when I tried it, the system didn’ty seem to object.

Not needing a visa, I didn’t try to insert a passport picture but enough people have reported problems that I can’t help suspecting a bug(s) somewhere.

Edited: 26 February 2018, 14:56
Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
12 reviews
14 helpful votes
34. Re: e-visa

Yes this particular point was a bit vague but simply avoided as you said, l just picked a random six letter word starting with a capital letter and added 1!, voila:) I guess there must be some errors or bugs here and there but l wanted to give an update trying it out today in case some of those issues have been fixed recently.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
35. Re: e-visa

Have tried 2/3 times to find out how/if the system worked - eventually got to passport picture stage- which of course begs the question of creating a passport pic - of a suitable size etc - uploading....

Being somewhat of a technophobe I then abandoned ship.

As many have pointed out it was a waste of time and energy - I could have got probably 100 visas on arrival for the time I spent trying the evisa game - which seems totally pointless - an exercise in how to make something simple into something very complicated and unnecessary

Edited: 26 February 2018, 15:12
Port Ghalib, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
26 reviews
61 helpful votes
36. Re: e-visa

As you say Stony it is a bit of an issue with the photo which has been mentioned a few times.

Obviously if you are not a computer geek and not understanding the process of cropping a photo and making it fit again more stress.

Also getting visa on arrival you do not need a photo your passport is good enough.

I do agree I have had a dummy run through the process and did not find it easy either.

Nuweiba
Destination Expert
for Nuweiba, Dahab, South Sinai
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
4 reviews
37. Re: e-visa

I too, as a test, made an application on the official site and got, eventually to the payment page. But it was one big hassle ! So easy to buy it from the bank exchange counters. No hassle and in 30 plus years I have never seen a visa upon arrival been refused - unlike, it seems, the visa online !!

I agree with Jared's and other's sentiments... why do people torture them selves with this online hocus pocus when there are so many warnings to the contrary on the now half a dozen threads on this subject !

Its like that other very common ( and, in view of the so often advice given, pointless ), question where can I get Egyptian pounds before going to Egypt - as if there were no Egyptian pounds in Egypt or the Egyptian pounds in Egypt were, somehow, of an inferior quality !! Made in China maybe ???

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
12 helpful votes
38. Re: e-visa

I used the e-visa last week with my kids and I had no problems with the site when I applied. I'm not saying it is hassle free for everyone, but it worked great for us. The e-visas came through about 24 hours after I applied. It was easy to walk right though immigration after our late night arrival. $25 cost is the same as VOA. I used this site provided on the forum: http://visa2egypt.gov.eg/

Just wanted to point out that the e-visa did work for us.

1 post
39. Re: e-visa

I too fell for the “scam” of egyptvisa.com. Paid $74. But I did end up getting a “visa” about 15 minutes after I told them to rescind charges. Is it actually valid though?

And if you actually got a visa from egyptvisa.com, what was your experience?

Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
8 helpful votes
40. Re: e-visa

Hi. Sorry I know it is an old post but I was wondering if you had you money refunded?

I have literally just fell for the same scam, same website. Really ticked off 😡.

Thank you

Reply to: e-visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted