We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile Cruise on MS Semiramis

HEREFORDSHIRE
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nile Cruise on MS Semiramis

Hello,what a great forum for someone like me to come across just before i go on a weeks nile cruise on the MS Semiramis from Luxor to Aswan.It is a holiday i thought i would only dream about going on but my best friend and i decided to go for it !! I wonder if there is any advice anyone could give us for this holiday.I have read alot of the posts, but anything anyone can tell us about the cruise would be great. We are so excited but also a bit unsure of what to expect....are we going to have to get up very early to go on the excursions? ! And will we have much time to go visit places if we choose not to go on the day trips? We are going on the 28th November 2007 so i look forward to any replies before i start packing my suitcase!!

Liz.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nile Cruise on MS Semiramis

Hey Liz-

Good on you for living out a dream. My wife and I just did the cruise from Aswan to Luxor. Here's what we think.

Basically all the ships are similar, usually the top deck has a large sitting area and bar with a small pool, you can pretty much wear want you want too. The food is not fanatastic, but not horrible either- and you won't go hungry. Most of the ships have a bar/disco and one night usuually has an Egyptian theme- on our ship you could rent traditonal Egyptian clothing for that evening.

The rooms are smallish- but comfortable, and have private bathrooms, most have big windows to watch the Nile pass by. Be careful with the windows, as when you are docked they stack the boats from the dockside out - so you may have someone elses window directly in front of yours. What I mean is that to leave your ship you may have to cross through the lobby of 3 or 4 ships to get to the dock. Hope you get my drift.

Most of your time on the boat, believe it or not is docked- you travel during the night. When you are sailing it is magic though.

The sites are great- sometimes you do have to get up early- but it's worth it- trust me you'll have lots of down time to rest- breakfast is usually served at 6:30- 7:30 anyways. Regarding skipping the tours- you'll be missing a really once in a lifetime experience by doing this. Although there are some stops with towns, they are nothing as compared to the temples. My wife and I did a bit of exloring- but to be honest, when you've scene one tourist shop you've seen them all.

My favourite time was watching the sun set over the Nile- very relaxing. My wife's favourite moment was in Esna, watching people in the town center, from the top deck of the ship.

Hope this helps- let me know if we can be of help.

AJ

Opps almost forgot- on our ship they used bottled water to wash the friuts and vegetables- I think thats standard practise, so enjoy the salads.

perth wa
Level Contributor
112 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nile Cruise on MS Semiramis

we've just got back from a similar cruise and we loved it. we sailed on the sonesta moon goddess which was brilliant. we had balconies for each cabin whcih no one else seemed to have, a nice bonus on this ship. The food was outstanding every meal time, and there was plenty of it too.

they had entertainment every night in the bar.disco area so we always had something to do. we only sailed at night twice, all the other travel was during the day. we didn't have any really early starts for the tours, but i don't think you would want to miss any of them. there is a little time here and there for a bit of shopping as you go. you should have a day or so at either end of the cruise for shopping and exploring on your own, the market in aswan was my wife's favourite. it is clean, well set out and we had very little hassle from the sellers, most places you go will have stalls at the temples or on the docks and they do hassle pretty hard to get you to buy.

try not to miss the excursions they really are worth the effort.

HEREFORDSHIRE
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nile Cruise on MS Semiramis

Many Thanks to A.J and chnnang for replying to my post.Im very grateful for the advice and information you both gave me,needless to say im even more excited about going now!! Was there any time during the cruise that you were able to take advantage of a balloon flight but not through the rep,as it seems they charge an awful lot, but to organise it ourselves?.

perth wa
Level Contributor
112 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nile Cruise on MS Semiramis

we watched the balloons fly over us in luxor but we had an early start ourselves so we didn't try for it/ i think it would be easier if you're cruising aswan to luxor, we went the other way. we flew from cairo to luxor and went direct to the boat. we had the first day tied alongside in luxor and did our first tour with the boat next morning and sailed in the afternoon. i think if you come the other way it may be possible to make the arrangements easier. looked spectacular in morning sky.

5. Re: Nile Cruise on MS Semiramis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 22:18