We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is there a english/irish pub in aswan

rotherham
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
is there a english/irish pub in aswan

hi members,

can any members tell me is there a english or irish pub in aswan, as we are docked in aswan two nights, thanks in advance bill,

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is there a english/irish pub in aswan

Been there 4 times and have never seen or heard of one. In fact, very few restaurants sell alcohol apart from the hotels. It is much more a Muslim town than Luxor. When we go we walk round the souk and would be lucky to see another tourist. There are a couple of restaurants on the cornishe that sell alcohol with a meal.

Phil

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is there a english/irish pub in aswan

"Been there 4 times and have never seen or heard of one" - Phil900

That was certainly the case last year when we were there. There have never been any such pubs since we have been going to Aswan. Notably, fewer restaurants sell beer and wine than when we first went there.

Alcohol is available in hotels. You can also get beer and Egyptian wine from the Duty Free. A few restaurants sell beer to take away. There are also some shops selling Egyptian beer and wine cheaply.

Aswan was increasingly busy in the last few years before the revolution. In the evenings, coach loads of people were pouring into the souks. During the day, it was not as busy but still very healthy. It is such a shame that tourism is down heavily again. New hotels were being built and refurbishments going ahead. They even had direct flights into Aswan from Gatwick - which have now been cancelled.

I hope you have a good time, Rotherham. There are places near the main docking stages where you can water, soft drinks, beer, etc.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is there a english/irish pub in aswan

One place you could go for just a drink is the EMY restaurant on the cornishe, it is a barge type floating restaurant with a nice view over the nile. I am sure you could go there just for a beer. It would be cheaper than the boat. Although it looks a bit run down we had a good cheap meal in there.

Phil

uk
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is there a english/irish pub in aswan

No any Irish pub in Aswan, hope you have wonderful time in Egypt.

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is there a english/irish pub in aswan

The EMY has a charming girl working there. It is basic but it does have a view and a laid-back feel. You can get beer to take away from there too.

sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: is there a english/irish pub in aswan

Wow the EMY restaurant sounds great. Will definitely check it out next time in Aswan.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is there a english/irish pub in aswan

I would not say 'Great' but it defiantly has that laid back feel like AswanFans said, I watched a cruise boat smash into it from the restaurant about, which has now burnt down. Best entertainment all holiday, no one was hurt, but the barge had a big dent in it and it and broke its mooring. We then continued to watch the arguments between the boat people and the restaurant owners.

Thinking of going back in December, which is when we usually go, have always payed around £80 - £85 for 3 nights at the Isis Island, just checked and I could get it for £70 for 3 nights B&B. Bargain.

Phil

rotherham
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is there a english/irish pub in aswan

hi phil,

sounds ok Emy will give it a go while in Aswan, and get a few beers for boat eh, roll on end of June, thanks bill,

Edited: 23 April 2012, 17:35
UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is there a english/irish pub in aswan

"£85 for 3 nights at the Isis Island, just checked and I could get it for £70 for 3 nights B&B. Bargain." - Phil900

Bargain, indeed! I have seen it in May, for 2 nights, two people, £47.... with breakfast! . Those rates are cheaper than staying at home.

Isis island is so beautiful.

That sounds like great free entertainment, Phil900. We watched felucca men all having a great big row when last there. There is always something to see in Egypt. People watching is a lot of fun.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 18:01
sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: is there a english/irish pub in aswan

Might be a business opportunity for an enterprising egyptian or even an expat to open a pub in Aswan. Something like the St Joseph's roof bar or the Kings Head in Luxor, bet it would do well, especially if there is a nice view.

Get answers to your questions about Aswan