We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosques in Luxor

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NE UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Mosques in Luxor

I know that there are many mosques open to visitors in Cairo, but is it possible to visit one in Luxor? Is the Mosque in Luxor Temple accessible to tourists? Thanks

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosques in Luxor

Yes, that mosque is open to the public most of the day except for prayer times.

I've been going to go to it so many times and yet still not managed it!

Level Contributor
314 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosques in Luxor

Hi andrewsisters, I was invited into the mosque at Luxor Temple when I went up the steps by mistake looking for the temple entrance . . . doh! I felt bad declining the offer but I'd left the boys sitting having a coke in the square. I also felt bad as I'd walked up the steps & almost to the door with hair uncovered & it kind of dawned on me when I saw the rows of shoes. I was very impressed with how welcoming everyone appeared despite my silly & disrespectful approach! I'm sure if you go you'll get the same warm welcome.

Incidentally we did eventually find the temple entrance but it's not immediately obvious from the square is it? I'm sure there were probably signs if I'd looked hard enough but I was having a dumb tourist kind of day lol.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
656 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosques in Luxor

I have been in the mosque in Luxor temple loads of times with guests.On my blog I have before and after photos of the restoration. What they have done is put the inscriptions that are part of the temple on display. It is so weird to be in a mosque with images. The prayer niche is actually carved in to one of the columns. They really welcome visitors although they do ask for a donation for the orphans.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
656 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosques in Luxor

Photo of the prayer niche https:/…5371405958712342706

5. Re: Mosques in Luxor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:15