We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

We have one day in Nairobi before leaving for a 9 day safari with Ambeselli as first stop. Is it worth the time to go to the elephant orphanage (and the giraffe center for that matter) or will it be redundant if we are spending the next 9 days in the bush?

8 replies to this topic
Montreal
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Doubt that you'll get a seven inch blue tongue up your nose in the bush.

You won't be petting a one year old baby elephant either - the rest of the herd will make sure of that.

The giraffe centre was not crowded and you get as much time as you want to interact with the giraffes at their eye level. We had seen many close up during the safaris but the visit gives a better appreciation of their size.

We sponsored an orphan elephant and visited at 17:00 when things are relatively uncrowded, the 11:00 visit is entirely different and crowded from what I have read.

We enjoyed the close encounters but it's your call.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
339 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Both are absolutely worth it regardless of how many days you spend in the bush.

You don't get to kiss a giraffe in the bush!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
347 reviews
3. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

They are both wonderful experiences and have little to do with being out in the bush. I have been to the elephant orphanage 3 times and the giraffe center twice, I'll be going to the giraffe center again tomorrow, I will be going with my Kenyan staff because they simply love it as much as I do.

Oak Park, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

fifer81 - I know about the 11 am visiting hour but i can not seem to find information on the 1700 visiting time. is it also feeding? Possible closer interaction with the elephants?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
339 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Tina k the 1700 hour visit is for foster parents only.

If you are fostering an ele you make arrangements with DSWT for the visit on a specific day. You can foster an orphan for as little as $50 USD per year and trust me you won't regret it. 😊

Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

If you go to the 11am one you can choose and sponsor an elephant on the day, then come back to meet him/her and spend more quality time with them all at the 5pm session.

Definitely worth the trip, we enjoyed both sessions but the 5pm visit was amazing. The earlier one is cheap though and lots of fun, so I'd do both again when we return to Kenya.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,995 posts
201 reviews
7. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Definitely do both. If you look on their web site you have the option to foster an elephant for $$. If you do you can make arrangements with them to come back at 5:00 pm for another visit with your elephant. It's been a while but we did the morning session, then went to lunch and the giraffe center, and then came back for the second session.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
119 reviews
8. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

I've done the Giraffe Center once but since we have a zoo at home where you can get up close and feed the giraffes, I don't go to the one in Nairobi now.

But I always go to Sheldricks for both the 11am and 5pm visits. They are very different. During the 5pm visit (if you have adopted an ellie, you can meet your chubby and also talk to the keepers which are amazing. I have 5 adopted elephants (only 2 are still in Nairobi, the others are at Ithumba). The 11am visit is nice because you see the little ones in the mud bath and they will tell you the history of each of them. Often there are school children there and a lot of visitors so make sure you get there well before 11am to get a parking spot. I'm usually there by 10:30. Also, at the 11am visit, you can adopt one if desired (to visit at 4pm). When you adopt in person, you get a nice folder of your little one, a watercolor drawing and some other information which is nice because on line, you don't get these. They also have a nice gift area at 11am where they have t shirts, etc. for purchase. These are not available at 5pm. You get a real appreciation of all the work it takes to look after these orphaned elephants. I'm sure Kim W will provide feedback also. She goes every visit, plus often does a private visit earlier in the afternoon and has stayed at the other Sheldrick properties.

Reply to: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted