We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya: warning of imminent terrorist attack

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kenya: warning of imminent terrorist attack

British nationals in Kenya have been warned to be vigilant after the Kenyan authorities alerted the public to a heightened threat from terrorist attacks in the capital city, Nairobi.

The Foreign Office said it believed terrorists may be in the final stages of planning attacks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16455802

guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/07/kenya-immin…

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindi…

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya: warning of imminent terrorist attack

Joy! I have just paid my balance off........

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya: warning of imminent terrorist attack

Not sure if the below helps or not....it is taken from the Channel 4 website and quotes Reuters...

.........................................................................................................................................

"The Foreign Office declined to comment on what triggered the high alert, other than that it was acting on intelligence from Kenyan officials..........

.......Nairobi police chief Anthony Kibuchi was quoted by a local paper on Friday as saying there had been new threats of attacks in the capital by al Qaeda, with which al Shabaab is allied.

But when contacted by Reuters after Britain's warning, he said there was no new, specific threat against Nairobi.

"The statement I gave is 'normal alerts'," he told Reuters.

"We just want to be very alert because our Kenya Defence Forces are doing a very good job in Somalia. Now the sympathisers of al Shabaab are like a wounded buffalo, very dangerous. I was just asking members of the public to be extra alert."

........................................................................................................................................

Not really sure if the new British warning is based on the above 'briefing' or is based on firmer (and unreported) intelligence.

We are quite okay with things at the moment on the N Coast just taking normal sensible measures when we go out which we would do wherever we go.....

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya: warning of imminent terrorist attack

I will be on LBC 97.3 (London) some time after 7 this evening, trying to say something helpful about the latest tweak in the FCO's warning. It's important to stress that although the FCO travel advisory dept has made a point of flagging up the information to the press, the warning level itself hasn't changed from how it's been since last September. I think as much as anything it's a new year extra precaution, aimed to coincide with the the general interest on travel plans at this time of year. But again, important to stress that the overall level of the advice about Kenya hasn't changed.

fco.gov.uk/en/…kenya1

Richard

London
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya: warning of imminent terrorist attack

Hi Richard,

Agree with your assessment.

However you should be aware that Simon (Calder) was being unusually cautionary on BBC News yesterday, making the point that it was extremely unusual for the FCO to change an advisory over a weekend (I think he even used the term "unprecedented"!

He also stated that the Kenyan Government had notified the FCO directly, which now appears to be contradicted by sources within Kenya.

It will be interesting to see whether his opinion has changed.

Best of luck!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya: warning of imminent terrorist attack

Hi,

just returned (yesterday) from a 2 week trip, at Watamu area there were no visible differences in security which I take as a good sign, in Nairobi the same but increased armed security at the Safari Park Hotel where we stayed for new years eve, apart from that nothing unusual. Significantly more police stops than normal on the Nairobi Isiolo road, which is a good sign in my opinion. Apart from that had a great holiday and will return soon.

Safari Njema to all those going in the near future,

agy

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenya: warning of imminent terrorist attack

Good point Billfish (Simon Calder's about the Saturday announcement). But this may have more to do with the interim High Commissioner currently in Kenya and perhaps the usual Christmas/New Year's work and info bottleneck.

Richard

Rutland
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenya: warning of imminent terrorist attack

Hi Richard, Sunday 8th Jan 19.47. We are 2 adults due to fly tomorrow to Hemingways via Nairobi, our 3 kids (17, 19, 21) are due to fly on Friday separately. I had organised several deep sea fishing trips and a safari at Il Moran then the kids are returning a few days before us.

The current situation has made us feel very nervous, I heard the classification as 'critical', with an imminent terrorist attack likely. 'Extra Vigilance' seems vague advice and the places to avoid 'where Westerners meet, hotels and beaches' are exactly the places we shall be going. Even though the FCO are not saying don't go, and we the fact that we have paid an enormous amount of money whch we are unlikely to get back, we have decided not to go, it a risk not worth taking. What do you think? We were due to leave at 2pm tomorrow. Rob Waddington

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenya: warning of imminent terrorist attack

The foreign office has RAISED the threat level to "critical"

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16459223

Rutland
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenya: warning of imminent terrorist attack

Hi Richard, Sunday 8th Jan 19.47. We are 2 adults due to fly tomorrow to Hemingways via Nairobi, our 3 kids (17, 19, 21) are due to fly on Friday separately. I had organised several deep sea fishing trips and a safari at Il Moran then the kids are returning a few days before us.

The current situation has made us feel very nervous, I heard the classification as 'critical', with an imminent terrorist attack likely. 'Extra Vigilance' seems vague advice and the places to avoid 'where Westerners meet, hotels and beaches' are exactly the places we shall be going. Even though the FCO are not saying don't go, and we the fact that we have paid an enormous amount of money whch we are unlikely to get back, we have decided not to go, it a risk not worth taking. What do you think? We were due to leave at 2pm tomorrow. Rob Waddington

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenya: warning of imminent terrorist attack

Hi Rob

Not Richard as you can see....We have been out here now for nearly 3 months and it really isn't as bad as it seems to be being portrayed. As has been said it is no worse than many many parts of the world and better than loads.

i do appreciate that it is a very personal decision but I would urge you to reconsider and I am guessing that this is the advice that others (far more informed and experienced than I ) would give you.

As I am sure you will know there was 'credible' information back in Sep/Oct last year of similar attacks and nothing transpired. However, as has been said here, the FCO advice hasn't really changed. Not sure if this is any help in making your decision but we have a return ticket we can come home on and have no intention of doing so.

Best Wishes

Kevin