We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety - Late Night Transfer NBO to Karen Area???

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
9 helpful votes
Safety - Late Night Transfer NBO to Karen Area???

Hello All -

I know this topic has been discussed a lot. I did a bunch of searching, but I just could not find an answer that fit our circumstances. I appreciate your time and feedback!

We arrive at 9pm into NBO. We would like to head over to the Karen Area (Acacia Tree Hotel). We will arrange the transfer in advance. Is the route on the bypass from NBO to Karen safe in the late night? We are very seasoned travelers and been all over Africa. I just don't want to put us unnecessarily at risk so I am trying to educate myself. We can easily stay at an airport hotel and then head over the next day. It would just be convenient to get to Karen and then start our day at the sanctuaries directly from there. Thoughts???

Thanks so much!

8 replies to this topic
Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
33 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Safety - Late Night Transfer NBO to Karen Area???

It should be OK to travel to Karen at that time of night. Certainly traffic wise, it would be easier. The main risk of night time road travel is being involved in a road accident, particularly outside Nairobi, but within the city, the risk is lower.

Bredene, Belgium
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
32 helpful votes
2. Re: Safety - Late Night Transfer NBO to Karen Area???

There is no problem at all. I often land late in the evening at NBO, and we like to spend the first night at Acacia Tree Lodge so we have done this quite often. Acacia is a very nice place also, enjoy your stay!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
46 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Safety - Late Night Transfer NBO to Karen Area???

No issues.

Quite safe to make the journey. Use reputable Taxi Services, instead of freelancers, eg Delight, Jim Cab, Pewin, UBER..etc..

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Good Luck

Mombasa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
108 reviews
49 helpful votes
4. Re: Safety - Late Night Transfer NBO to Karen Area???

by 09.00 - 10.00 pm there is still a good amound of Traffic on Nairobi Roads, so nothing to worry.

Ensure you arrange your Airport Transfer before and you are picked by a reputable Company.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: Safety - Late Night Transfer NBO to Karen Area???

Thank you all! I appreciate the advice.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
219 reviews
167 helpful votes
6. Re: Safety - Late Night Transfer NBO to Karen Area???

I'd ask the driver to avoid the bypass, as there have been some insecurity incidences reported at night.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
698 posts
61 reviews
55 helpful votes
7. Re: Safety - Late Night Transfer NBO to Karen Area???

I arrived late last time and we got to Macushla at about 11 pm in Karen area and had no issues.

Nairobi Region...
3 posts
8. Re: Safety - Late Night Transfer NBO to Karen Area???

The bypass route is safe no need to worry, I have been using it and i have never encountered with any insecurity issue.

Reply to: Safety - Late Night Transfer NBO to Karen Area???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted