We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masai Mara in April/May

East Dulwich...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Masai Mara in April/May

Hello everyone,

I have just returned a couple of weeks ago from a trip to Masai Mara and Zanzibar. We loved the whole Safari experience so much we want to go back but at a different time of year and we are thinking late April/ early May....

I wanted to see what everyone’s experience of Safari during this time frame was like.... was it easier to see the Big cats? More likely to see the young/ baby cats?

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
349 reviews
1. Re: Masai Mara in April/May

You are proposing going to the Masai Mara at the worst possible time of year when most lodges are simply closed due to the fact that it's the height of the rainy season. I suggest that you visit at another time of year.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Masai Mara in April/May

we have gone twice in late june and seen tons of babies (cats, elephants), some as young as 5 weeks old

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Masai Mara in April/May

i just emailed a few folks that mentioned April is a fine time to visit Masai Mara and that if it rains its barely an hour and hardly affects the game drives. Does anyone have recent experience with this they can share?

4. Re: Masai Mara in April/May

If I want to go and enjoy the Mara, I would definitely avoid the rainy season, it is generally not the best time to go.

5. Re: Masai Mara in April/May

Am a resident of maasai mara, for the cats and the big five lovers, this is the best time of the year to visit the Mara. As most cats give birth at this month and moreso there is less commotion due to the low season

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Uganda
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
6. Re: Masai Mara in April/May

I have to say I do personally prefer the lower season in the Masai Mara as I absolutely can't bear crowds and am happy to take the rain on the chin. It can rain, sometimes torrentially during April/May- to the point that camps have been washed away. You should certainly expect some storms which can be quite dramatic, and the possibility of getting stuck on game drives, though digging out the vehicle is often quite fun.

However, it's very unlikely to rain all day, the animals are still there, prices are about 30-50% lower than in high season, and the light when the dust is washed out of the air is incredible for photography. Plus, as mentioned above, lots of young babies and fat and happy looking animals with plenty of grazing. I've certainly had excellent viewing in the Mara in May, though I haven't done a safari there in late April.

I'd say April/May is by no means a no-go time, I'd certainly personally go then, but you do need to know what to expect.

Alexandra- Extraordinary Africa

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
219 reviews
7. Re: Masai Mara in April/May

I would also go in April/May

When it rains (remember weather patterns globally are changing, so what should be the rainy season could be dry) it might rain for a few hours. We've always had excellent game viewing all year round.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Masai Mara in April/May

I much prefer low season to peak season. Far fewer people and no shortage of wildlife. We have seen some wonderful sights at that time - lions mating, buffalo giving birth, leopard with her babies. Rains aren't guaranteed at that time but when they do come, they can bring their own dramas. Honestly I would have no hesitation visiting the Mara at that time. I've been doing so now for the last ten years.

Reply to: Masai Mara in April/May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...