We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Phone Service

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Mobile Phone Service

Hi,

I'm off the the Masai Mara, staying at the Karen Blixen camp for 3 nights.

Does anybody know what the mobile phone service (if any) is like ? I am on a UK Vodafone contract.

Thanks a lot in advance,

L x

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,578 posts
55 reviews
11. Re: Mobile Phone Service

Hi,

It would cost 10/- to text them home, you can ring the UK from as little as 17/- per minute (10/- to the US.)

If you call home from your UK contract phone it will cost between £1.50 - £1.75 per minute. If they ring you from the UK it will cost them around £1 - £1.50 a minute to make the call, and you will typically pay at least half as much again to receive it.

Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
12. Re: Mobile Phone Service

enlightened :)

they all no when im away (usualy) anyway so we only comunicate by txt

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
13. Re: Mobile Phone Service

Safaricom is a must when in Kenya, only use your British sim card if you have money to waste.

Incidently Safaricom sims can be used in the U.K (They have an agreement with orange) and a Safaricom mobile can be topped up from the U.K (even if the recipients mobile is in Kenya).

uk
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
14. Re: Mobile Phone Service

Any idea where I can get a Safaricom sim from - am travelling from Nairobi Airport to mara via Narok?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
15. Re: Mobile Phone Service

Nairobi airport has a Safaricom stall selling sims & top up cards opposite the long slope down to baggage reclaim, you can't miss it!

Northern California
Level Contributor
796 posts
57 reviews
16. Re: Mobile Phone Service

So does this mean that if I put a safaricom sim in my Blackberry (AT&T = the service provider in the USA), then I am good to text, etc. throughout some of the rural parts of Kenya?

uk
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
17. Re: Mobile Phone Service

If you have an ATT Blackberry yes ...as long as your phone isnt locked to ATT!

There is an alternative - a number of companies in USA/UK operate Roaming SIMs with good rates in a number of countries. It maybe worth looking at these (check the reviews though for coverage in your countries and their reputation)

If you travel to many countries often - these may work out overall a better deal.

Northern California
Level Contributor
796 posts
57 reviews
18. Re: Mobile Phone Service

I have a roaming sim for the Caribbean and Central/South America, but have tried to leave my Blackberry at home if/when on holiday in Europe. The local AT&T people are good for questions and solutions about the "usual" places that Californians travel. Rural Kenya--well, I guess that I will see.....

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
19. Re: Mobile Phone Service

Thanks for all your help and comments.

I purchased a local sim card and saved a fortune. I got the Orange local sim in the end as it worked best at the camp I stayed.

However, something to note you have a 'locked' phone. i.e. From Vodafone for a Vodafone contract, your phone won't except the sim. I had to borrow my friends unlocked phone.

Zain also seemed popular with other travellers we met.

Hope this helps.

20. Re: Mobile Phone Service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 01:18