We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balloon Fares

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
950 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Balloon Fares

how much do I currently have to pay for balloon rides? do all lodges charge the same or are there cheaper and more expensive ones?

thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balloon Fares

Pricing - as far as I've seen - is pretty standard... $400 - $450 (US) and all are at dawn, about an hour long, and include a champagne breakfast.

Others may know of discount rates of some sort though

Camberley UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balloon Fares

is that $400-$450 per person or per ballon?

Many Thanks

Annette

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balloon Fares

per person

Australia
Level Contributor
226 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balloon Fares

Just for curiosities sake (since I've already paid for mine upfront), why are the balloon rides in the Masai Mara NR and Serengeti so expensive?

I've done a champagne breakfast hot air balloon ride over the Valley of the Kings in Egypt, and that cost less than US$100 (which included all the transfers and everything too). Is there some particular reason (aside from "you're rich westerners, we want your money") that it's so expensive in East Africa?

Thanks for any insights.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balloon Fares

I can't say for definite, having never taken a balloon flight in Egypt, but it is probably something to do with fuel and transportation costs.

I know that the fuel and CO2 costs are astronomical here and that getting parts to and from the various game reserves from Nairobi is also very costly due to the logistics involved. Maintenance is another heavy hitter. It may well be the case that fuel costs are lower and logistics easier in Egypt although, as I said, I wouldn't know for certain.

Australia
Level Contributor
226 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balloon Fares

I figured it might be something like that. It just raised an eyebrow when I was first looking to book and I noticed it was almost 5x the price of Egypt.

Camberley UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Balloon Fares

Just got back from the Masai Mara had a wonderful trip we did not bother to do the ballon flight as £570 for 2 people for one hour was too much for me especially when we found out 16 people would be in the basket over £4500 for a full flight I think that more than covers the costs involved its a shame more people would do it if the cost was more reasonable, I am sure you will love it though its such an amazing place with animals where ever you look, have fun Annette

8. Re: Balloon Fares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...