We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masai Mara Safari + Beach - Recommeded Operator??

Level Contributor
146 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Masai Mara Safari + Beach - Recommeded Operator??

We're planning our honeymoon for late Aug / early Sept next year and would ideally like a 4or 5 night safari in Masai Mara (to hopefully catch the wildebeest migration), followed by a week of relaxation on a beach somewhere. Can anyone recommend a good tour operator who offers these types of packages from the UK? There are a lot online, however I would like a recommendation, rather than just picking one.

Also, if anyone knows any operators we should avoid, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Masai Mara Safari + Beach - Recommeded Operator??

Its a bit early to feed the fish Kaz lol

Book your hotel with a Uk tour opperator then book your safari independantly

Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Masai Mara Safari + Beach - Recommeded Operator??

and you even get in a plug for the company, well done, nice review by the way

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Masai Mara Safari + Beach - Recommeded Operator??

there are a choice of good beach hotels . you only need to choose which is the best beach among Lamu , Mombasa and Malindi . Lamu is rated among the best honeymoon destination in the world . Malindi and Mombasa are equally good . Book a Safari with a tour agent of your choice , ask some advice about the hotels / lodges with beach front view , then book direct . However some operator have contract rates with lodges/hotel if you can trust then to book for you . But it is a good idea to book and pay a deposit in advance just to be sure . So go ahead and book yourself . It will cost just a little more than if you booked through an agent but you will be sure of a room . For the Safari I will recommend www.villagelifesafari.com

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Masai Mara Safari + Beach - Recommeded Operator??

There we go....... The fish are bitting. Reel em in

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Masai Mara Safari + Beach - Recommeded Operator??

Lots of good UK operators, if you want to get it all done as a package price up with several and then do deals, they are all open to regotiation, we ended up with 12.5% less than the first quote in the end. Funnily enough picked up Virgin's brochure from a new travel shop when just out and could not believe how pricey they seemed for the same hol we just completed. Their are a lot of online UK agents who even guarantee to better the main agents prices and all fully bonded.

I know there are an awful lot of good operators based in Kenya but just research well. There was a couple on hol with us this month who had booked through a nairobi agent who was recommended on here and had an awful time. Their hotel bill was not settled till just before departure and the reservation for where they were due to move onto was up the creek and they were being asked for a small fortune to complete the holiday. It was sorted in the end but not without a lot of upset and over 24 hrs of their precious honeymoon wasted. They said they knew the risks but the price had been so good and it was all paid by transfer without credit card protection .... so check and check again.

Level Contributor
28 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Masai Mara Safari + Beach - Recommeded Operator??

If you want to have everything pre-arranged from UK then I would recommend Somak. I have been with them 3 times , different itineries and all wonderful They are very professional, even helpted with check in at the airport. Guides and the lodges used are excellent. We have just booked for Xmas a week safari, followed by 12 nights hotel in Mombas for a very reasonable cost. You can save a further 5% on the Somak web prices by booking via lowcostdeals. Good luck with your research.

West Mids
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Masai Mara Safari + Beach - Recommeded Operator??

Don't want to be accused of plugging. However, on a personal note i don't like to book independantly on 1st trips, i don't think i would forgive myself if it all went pear shaped. I booked through an independant travel agent, when the paperwork arrived it was pretty much a standard Virgin holiday. I did chop & change my hotel a bit as i used this site for recommendations. All was very smooth & enjoyable.

I would add that others we met out there said that Virgin were v good until they had your money then service was more erratic (words of others, not my own). Safari company was v good but throughout the holiday i didn't hear a single bad thing about any of them. I say price up through a holiday company and independantly. See if the cost difference is worth the hassle on transfers & internal flights. Most of all enjoy - you will love it

8. Re: Masai Mara Safari + Beach - Recommeded Operator??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2010, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...