We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fig Tree Camp or Kichwa Tembo?

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
950 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fig Tree Camp or Kichwa Tembo?

could anyone describe the differences between these two camps? I'm not sure which one to choose for our final night at the Masai Mara next August

thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fig Tree Camp or Kichwa Tembo?

I thought you were going to Keekorok. Please explain.

Fig Tree is budget to mid-market

KT is mid-market to luxury.

I don't think you're comparing like with like – you wouldn't get them for the same price.

Hope this helps

Richard

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
950 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fig Tree Camp or Kichwa Tembo?

yes, I am going to Serena (2 nights) and keekorok (1 night) and either fig tree or kichwa tembo (1night) - and yes, the total price would be the same

nyc
Level Contributor
14,855 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fig Tree Camp or Kichwa Tembo?

May I ask, why with only 4/ days are you splitting your time between 3 properties ( 2/lodges and 1/tent camp)? Assuming you have your own guide/vehicle, I can see splitting 4/days at 2 properties, but 3. Hey, it's your safari.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
950 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fig Tree Camp or Kichwa Tembo?

no no, I do indeed plan to split 4 days among 3 locations - driving between lodges inside the park (yes, I know, FT and KT are outside the park borders) is not really an effort, is it? more like an extended game drive, at least for us.

although: I had indeed planned to stay at only 2 places (serena and keekorok) but now kichwa tembo will be included because we can participate in a night drive, something I've never done in East Africa

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fig Tree Camp or Kichwa Tembo?

What I see is that you are driving all over the park, and not really following any game. There might be some action you may have seen in the morning, but would not be able to return in the afternoon, as you would have moved on. I would stick to one, or max. two lodges.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
950 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fig Tree Camp or Kichwa Tembo?

I am not really sure what you mean:

fact is if you stay at one lodge you'll have your morning and your evening games drives and maybe once a full game drive - what we will have is morning and evening games drives plus "day time games drives", when we drive from one lodge to another...trust me, I've spent ample time in half a dozen african safari countries, both self drive and organised, and I know what I am doing...it may not be your standard procedure but quite frankly, I don't want a standard procedure safari

nyc
Level Contributor
14,855 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fig Tree Camp or Kichwa Tembo?

Just be aware that if staying at Kichwa Tembo, they do charge for the evening game drives.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
950 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fig Tree Camp or Kichwa Tembo?

the evening drive will be included in my overall payment; I won't have to pay extra for it

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,502 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fig Tree Camp or Kichwa Tembo?

We stayed at Bateleur camp last month which is adjacent to Kichwa Tembo. We stopped to see the Serena in the Mara also. There were signs in the lobby and on the web site for the Serena offering night game drives. While the Serena is a lodge vs. KT a tented camp, I can't see the logic in moving from one to the other. Our daily game drives took us from the park gate near KT to the Mara River just below Serena. A sign indicated a distance of 30 km. You will get far more game viewing if you don't divide up your time.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
950 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fig Tree Camp or Kichwa Tembo?

first of all, night drives from mara serena may very well be more expensive than night drives from kichwa tembo, hm? on the other hand, we may very well decide to do night drives both from the serena and kichwa tembo different areas, different game, correct? last but not least: when we move from masai mara to lake nakuru we will have to drive through the park anyway, correct? so what's the big difference? please, I did not ask for any comments regarding my itenary, all I wanted to know was if I should choose Fig Tree or Kichwa Tembo - and this question has sufficiently been answered, thanks

Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...