We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masai Mara in February

Stockholm
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Masai Mara in February

We vísited Masai Mara in Feb 2009. However, the quantity of animals was not as big as expected. Espcecially we saw almost no large herds. This was not in line with our last trip that was some 10 years ago also in Feb. Is it always quite few animals in Feb, or can it differ largely?

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
1. Re: Masai Mara in February

During February it's not expected to find larger herds (wildebeeste, zebra, antelope) as the migration is in the Southern Serengeti "calving" their young.

From 10/years ago the volume of game has changed, besides there's no guarantee at any time exactly how much game you would experience anywhere.

If you wish to find the large number of game in the Mara, then the ideal time to visit would be from late-July thru mid-October.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
119 reviews
2. Re: Masai Mara in February

I was in the Masai Mara in March, 2009. The animals I saw in the largest numbers were lions and elephants. In looking back at my photos, I saw a couple of prides of lions and the elephants came very close to our vehicles. Only saw 1 shy leopard (but to see any was fantastic) and lots of Masai giraffees, hippos at the Mara River and a number of topi. While in the Serengeti, we saw many, many wildebeests with calves and lots of zebras. Since this was my first trip to Africa, I had nothing to compare it to. I did get a bad case of "Kenyaitis" and am returning this January.

3. Re: Masai Mara in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 01:17