We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 29% of hotels in Greater Mara Ecosystem are legal

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,624 posts
55 reviews
Only 29% of hotels in Greater Mara Ecosystem are legal

According to this inter-ministerial audit only 29 % of hotels in the Greater Mara Ecosystem are operating legally

nation.co.ke/News/…index.html

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
1. Re: Only 29% of hotels in Greater Mara Ecosystem are legal

<<According to this inter-ministerial audit only 29 % of hotels in the Greater Mara Ecosystem are operating legally>>

Whats that got to do with it? Surely its a matter of whether they have paid the right bribes that carries the real weight?

Ivan

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Only 29% of hotels in Greater Mara Ecosystem are legal

Hmm, wonder why they are not chasing the "millions" lost in tax revenue ?

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Only 29% of hotels in Greater Mara Ecosystem are legal

Sadly, Phil, I guess it's because the people who should be enforcing permits, licenses, inspections and those lucrative tax payments are prepared to take bribes instead. It's an absolute disgrace, and anyone who knowingly stays in a lodge or camp that doesn't tick every box is just perpetuating the problem, driving Kenya downhill and ruining its environment.

Unfortunately, apart from one or two illegally operating properties which are now public knowledge, how is a potential safari visitor supposed to know? Caveat emptor! (as it says on another thread somewhere!).

Richard

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Only 29% of hotels in Greater Mara Ecosystem are legal

I agree Richard, my Hmm was a sarcastic one lol

I had an idea why these revenues where not being chased up, sadly this is how Kenya works :-(

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
5. Re: Only 29% of hotels in Greater Mara Ecosystem are legal

Yeh, how is anyone supposed to know which are legal and which not?

Besides, of course, the bribes taken by those who shouldn't be!

It's not such a large area that with constant patroling the authorities wouldn't see new properties being built, to ask the contractor for his "papers." If not in order... stop the work!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
6. Re: Only 29% of hotels in Greater Mara Ecosystem are legal

independent.co.uk/environment/nature/the-ill…

Ivan

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Only 29% of hotels in Greater Mara Ecosystem are legal

Thanks Ivan. The Independent story is particularly shocking if the statement in the third-from-last paragraph is true, that the Envionmental Assessment report about Somak's Mara lodge was the same piece of work, word for word, as the EIA report submitted earlier on behalf of their Samburu lodge, with just the names changed, but contents unaltered.

I'm still amazed that such a reputable company could have behaved in this way. Talk about wasting good will and commitment.

Richard

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Only 29% of hotels in Greater Mara Ecosystem are legal

Me too. But then it never ceases to amaze me what people will do if they think they can get away with it. The Somak directors (while not excusing their actions) seem simply to have jumped on a never-ending bandwagon.

9. Re: Only 29% of hotels in Greater Mara Ecosystem are legal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 01:17