We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September trip

Scotland
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
September trip

Hi.i have read lotsof posts on here and am truely confused as to where to go.Am traveling 11th Sept for 10nights with Hayes and Jarvis staying at Turtle Bay Beach Club and am keen to book a 4 night safari.They have a fly in safari to Governers camp in Mara but it is quite expensive....I have contacted a couple of safari operators which can do trips cheaper to the other parks but obviously involve a lot of driving in between.This trip is first ever to Kenya and for my daughters 21st so want it to be special

In September am i best going to Mara or will i see migration just as well in other areas.If i chose other areas tsavo east/west, Amboseli what would you suggest

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Turtle Bay Beach Club
Turtle Bay Beach Club
970 Reviews
Watamu, Kenya
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September trip

Hi leobabe. I have sent you a PM.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September trip

Anna,

Is there any need for all this "cloak and dagger" stuff about sending everybody private messages when they ask a question??,

This forum is for people who want to know about Kenya and want to come on here for advice and to read about where to go and what to do and others pick up advice by just reading other posts.

Surely by sending P.M.'s to everybody who ask questions no body is going to get to know about Kenya, after all is not what the forum is for or am I totally wrong !!!

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September trip

Nicki

If you have been looking at the forum today, I have put quite a few posts on.The one about Jules V visiting the orphanage for example.

This particular post you are referring to was a very similar question to several others recently that I have answered. For that reason I decided to answer via a PM rather than repeat myself on the forum.

So, no cloak and dagger stuff - just an attempt to keep the forum material fresh.

Regards

Anne

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September trip

I cannot look through all the forum posts as I am quite busy working as you know, but have looked through all your posts and seen quite of number of "I have sent a P.M.)

People like to come on here to read about various things and dfferent hotels so it should be an open forum even if you are repeating yourself, if you don't want to repeat yourself then don't answer the question.!!!!!!!!

I have learnt alot from the posts on here, when and where not to go who and who not to see, who to trust (not many) so an open forum is the best way to go.

Due to this holiday is booked for this year and am so looking forward to it.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September trip

Unfortunately a lot of people who are new to this forum don't always read old posts and so haven't seen what has previously been posted.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September trip

Alot of people do not know how to use the search facility either.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September trip

As you are staying at TBBC in Watamu, it would make sense for you to use one of the local tour operators, they can then come to see you at TBBC and discuss your options, you can fly from malindi airport as well which is only 20 mins away and avoid driving long distances, I can suggest a very good local contact who we have used many times before and will come in at a cheaper price than Hayes and Jarvis, if you are intrested send me a pm and I will forward you his details, I'm not willing to post his contact details in the open forum.

I would suggest you go to the mara. Tsavo and Amboseli do not have a migration as such but the animals do go where they want when they want.

Edited: 18 February 2010, 16:35
Mentioned in this post
Watamu
Watamu
Coast Province, Kenya
edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September trip

Hi Smudger. I agree with your point about not mentioning specific safari operators on the forum. I think it has been established already that doing so could be construed as advertising. As you rightly say these things are best dealt with via a PM.

Whether a post should go on the forum or a PM is down to the judgement of the poster bearing in mind the forum rules and objectives allied to a bit of common sense.

Regards Malaika

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September trip

Nicki50: I agree with you about PMs. If you want to send someone a private message it's not private if you advertise the fact. But it's much better if OPs (original posters) get answers on the forum where everyone can read them, including the thousands of users who choose not to register.

Malaika: I don't understand your point about not mentioning specific tour operators. The forum is *awash* with critiques of operators, agents, hotels and tours, positive and negative. That's it's whole purpose. It's only the businesses themselves that aren't allowed to plug their products in posts - though many try to by posing as customers.

To get back to the OP, which smudger answered: leobabe, I agree that the Mara is wonderful, but if you've only got 10 days in the country and it's your first visit, and you're in Watamu, why not drive to Tsavo East and stay somewhere fantastic (but relatively affordable) like Galdessa, on the river. You'll see a lot of wildlife (hippos in the river, elephants walking across, plenty of plains grazers out on the savanna) and the open-plan accommodation and food are some of the best in Kenya. If you stayed their three nights (four days), you'd have a fantastic time.

Hope this is a help,

Richard

Mentioned in this post
Watamu
Watamu
Coast Province, Kenya
Tsavo East
Tsavo East
1,300 Reviews
Tsavo National Park East, Kenya
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September trip

Hi Richard

Perhaps I didn't make myself specific. One of the tour operators has requested that I do not post his details on the forum or telephone number and I have adhered to his request. He is the Director of a good company on the South but for some reason he has asked me to send his details via PM if anyone is asking for a safari which I did. I normally post the other operators on the forum but as I said this one has good prices but does not want mentioned on the forum.

Incidentally I have received six messages into my profile from people who for some reason do not want to post on the forum re. something I have been talking about on the forum therefore have answered them direct!!!!

You also referred a couple to myself re. the school in Ukunda and they also directed a private message my way therefore I composed one back to them.

Kind regards

Anne

On hindsight I should have sent the PM direct which I know some posters do and in future if this involves telling some-one about this particular operator I will do that. There is certainly nothing underhand going on, I can assure you!!!!!!!

Edited: 19 February 2010, 08:08
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...