We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safari & beach holiday 1st timer help needed please

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
166 reviews
safari & beach holiday 1st timer help needed please

I want to book a safari and beach holiday and have read loads and loads on TA, all great reading but I'm getting more and more confused the more I read. I have sent various e-mails to travel companies for costings, still awaiting some replies. I want to book for 2 adults plus a 16yr old and a 12 yr old in August this year if poss. Want to visit Masai Mara and would like to fly to and from Nairobi as daughter not good on long road journeys. Will be coming from Heathrow. Had one costing for £14,000!!!!! Can't afford that. Want beach holiday at the end. I have booked holidays before planning it all myself from start to finish but nothing like this before, I am a bit nervous so may opt for travel agent to ease worry as I want it to be right. Also want balloon flight. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. I think maybe £10k would be my maximum and that's pushing it somewhat.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: safari & beach holiday 1st timer help needed please

Hi,

i just did 1 quick search for an all inclusive holiday for your party and it came back for 2 weeks in Aug at £6700. Shop around online and that price could be beaten ive no doubt. That was from London to Mombasa though. You can then do your safari from Mombasa to Masai mara.

Why do you want to fly to Nairobi???

I can also put you in touch with someone for your safari/ballon ride to who would give you a very good price. Im sure you can do it all for £10k.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
854 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: safari & beach holiday 1st timer help needed please

Try looking at Turtle Bay Beach Club, very good for children. You can also fly up to Masai from Malindi which is about 30 mins away from this hotel

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
166 reviews
3. Re: safari & beach holiday 1st timer help needed please

Thanks mallamombasa. I don't mind where I fly to but most of the ones I've researched have flown to Nairobi. I meant to put that once we arrive we'd probably need to fly to the reserve rather than go by 4X4 as my daughter doesn't travel well and from what I've read it appears the trip from Nairobi to Masai Mara is 4 1/2 hours. I will keep on shopping around, just had another e-mail from another travel company beating the £14K but in the wrong direction, they reckon £5k per person, making my trip £20k! From what I've been reading on TA many of you have got much better deals than that.

Tiger8MiddleEngland - Do you mean do the hotel first then the safari as I was hoping to do it the other way around, or I note some do hotel-safari-hotel.

All tips gratefully received.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,623 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: safari & beach holiday 1st timer help needed please

Hi,

A lot of Brits book a package of flight and hotel in Mombasa. then they book their safari independently, if the safari is in the Mara then they usually fly from Mombasa. This means they can relax and get settled then go on safari without having to pack everything and vacate their room. After the safari they return to their hotel and chill for the rest of their holiday.

Some fly to Nairobi and go straight on Safari, leaving their main luggage with their safari or tour company, return to Nairobi and then fly to the coast

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
166 reviews
5. Re: safari & beach holiday 1st timer help needed please

Thanks Doffcocker. I had thought about doing the hotel and then going on safari and leaving stuff at hotel, as that is convenient for all your things, but that way you end up paying for the hotel that you are not using whilst away. Mind you I will do costings for this to see what the difference in price is as I like the sound of that.

Thank you

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: safari & beach holiday 1st timer help needed please

Like others here are saying most people book a 2 week all inclusive holiday and then take their safari during that period. You just leave your things in your room when you travel for safari. For your party of 4 im sure if you search the net on sites like monarch, travelsupermarket etc you will get a 2 week all inc package in august for around £5-6k

As for safari you could book when your there with a local company, again like many on here do. It will likely cost alot less than using scheduled airlines into nairobi and doing it that way.

7. Re: safari & beach holiday 1st timer help needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 06:35
Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
337 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: safari & beach holiday 1st timer help needed please

We have done exactly what Doffcocker and MM suggested to you. We have booked with Portland (part of Thomson) for two weeks all-inclusive at the Voyager hotel via Mombasa for just under £1000 each; we've then arranged our safari to Tsavo and Amboseli with a local Kenyan company (pm me if you want to know the name. So for four of you it would be approx £4000 for the hotel plus your safari price. A lot less than you have been quoted!!

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
166 reviews
9. Re: safari & beach holiday 1st timer help needed please

Thanks silversurf I have sent you a PM

10. Re: safari & beach holiday 1st timer help needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 00:16