We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing in March 2012

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
106 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing in March 2012

Finally after 2 years, I get to go to Beijing in early March next year,woohoo! After booking the flight, only realized that for weather-wise, it will be a downside for this trip. Kindly advise if we were to fly in and out Beijing, covering Xian, Pingyao and Datong via Taiyuan with a day trip to Chengde in 12 FULL days, is it doable? For early March, should I skip Datong (hanging monastery might not be accessible during tat period) and visit Longmen Grottoes instead enroute to Xian? We just need to visit either one of grottoes and spend more time in Beijing (5-6 days). Start to read all related posts commented by TA experts to plan the IT before putting up for advise. Thanks.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing in March 2012

Time should be very tense if accommodating Datong.

i suggest you go in this way and replace Datong by Luoyang's Longmen Grottes:

D 1-4 Beijing

D 5 BJ-Chengde ---- Bus/Car, one day to Chengde and back is not logical.

D 6 Chengde-Beijing-Plane or night train-Xian

D 7 Xian-bullet train-Longemen grottes-bullet train-Xian

D 8 Xian ----------- or overnight train to Pingyao but tired.

D 9 Xian-train-Pingyao or Xian-plane-Taiyuan-bus/car/train-Pingyao

D 10 Pingyao

D 11or D12 Pingyao-Taiyuan-bullet train-Beijing

Edited: 27 September 2011, 06:05
Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing in March 2012

Hi OR, thanks for the suggestions. My initial IT will be :

Day 1-5

In Beijing with a day trip to Chengde in Day 4 and the next day still in Beijing.

Overnight train to Xian on Day 5.

Day 6-7

Xian for 2 full days with overnight train to Pingyao on Day 7.

Day 8-9

Pingyao for 1.5 days, leaving for Taiyuan at late afternoon to catch any overnight train back to Beijing on Day 9.

Day 10-12

Explore other sites that we miss at the beginning of the trip, maybe can have a short trip to Tianjin.

May I know, going to Luoyang will be a trip from Xian after check in hotel or stop at Luoyang from Beijing night train, visit then continue the train trip to Xian.

If I am going to give up Longmen Grottoes, so from Day 9, instead of overnight train to Beijing, I can opt for Datong and back to Bejing on Day 10.

Lastly, will it still snow during the early March 2012, will we be able to go ski resort in Beijing? If yes, any recommendation? First time to see snow, very excited for us, if any, haha!

Still sorting out the IT on the places considered worth seeing based on website and this TA forum that giving valuable advises and comments by all the experts before coming up with a good and doable IT to make it a memorable trip.

Thanks.

manila
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing in March 2012

hello! this is our first time in Beijing. We will arrive on March 02 at around 12midnight and departure will be on March 05 at 1AM.

this is our initial Itinerary:

D1 - Arrival/checkin hotel, Forbidden City and Temple of Haven

D2 - Bedaling Great Wall, Summer Palace

D3 - Ming Tombs, Olympic Sites (photo op only as background), checkout and go to airport for departure

We know its a little tight in the schedule but this is only the dates that we are free from work. May we also know how is the weather in Beijing during that time (March1-5) and what kind of clothing should we bring and wear?

May we also know how much is the usual taxi fare from airport to Beijing Days Inn Forbidden Hotel?

thank you very much for all the assistance! - Mharcus

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing in March 2012

March wont be a down side weather wise at all and you might even get to see blue & clear skies. Will be a bit chilly in the morning & evening. Also less tourists.

Your original itinerary was too full for 12 days so leaving out somewhere ( like Datong) makes sense. 2 full days in Xi'an can be cut down but I guess you are timing it with the Pingyao train.

Your days 1 to 4 will be full of the Beijing sights. There is really no time to visit Tianjin or go to a close by ski resort like Nanshan. You can add them in if you want to but you will have to loose some time in Beijing and miss out on quite a few sights. I very much doubt there will be any snow in March. It snowed in February last year which was rare.

Your day trip to Chengde will be long - more time getting to & from there than in Chengde. Staying overnight is best.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing in March 2012

Taxi fare from the airport to Days Inn F/C will be about RMB100.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,316 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing in March 2012

Annie - this poster asked this same question in 4 threads. Already answered elsewhere.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beijing in March 2012

Ohhh no ! I was answering Berries & now see it was posted in Sept 2011 :-/ !!! What a waste time.

mharcus - please post your own topic - when you bump old topics or add onto someone else's it gets very confusing.....

8. Re: Beijing in March 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2012, 07:46
Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beijing in March 2012

Hi Annie and JP, I had just started to read all reviews and TR after all the year end celebration over here, Malaysia. Also monitoring the weather in Beijing and my flight schedule back to Singapore on 20/2/12 was cancelled and changed to 21/2/12 which means another extra day. Kindly comment on the following flow of IT:

Day 1-5

Beijing, overnight train to Luoyang on 5th nite

Day 6-8

Luoyang and Xian, overnight train to Pingyao on 8th nite

Day 9-10

Pingyao and day-train back to Beijing if we feel we had enough of Pingyao sights or night train if we wish to stay longer.

Day 11-13

Cover the places left out in Day 1-5, maybe side trip to Chengde/ Tianjin or maybe another different great wall sight.

Can let know if going to Luoyang from Beijing or Bejing to Xian then only to Luoyang from there (XIan), try not to back track?

JP, as for the spectace shop, any particular day that they are not in business? Already print out the address and direction given, thanks.

Annie, JP and Momow, thanks alot for the past input and comments and will definitely make my trip alot easier.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beijing in March 2012

Hi Berries, Just saw your post ( my notification is on the blink!) & I am to late. Hope everything is going well :-)

I would give Tianjin a miss and opt for Chengde instead ( an overnight stay is best). or yes go to another wall site like Jinshanling or a day trip out of Beijing. You might find on your first 5 days you mis things out so you can ad them in here.

If you mean the Eye Glass City near Panjiayuan they are open daily and close at 6pm. I picked up my glasses 5.30ish to allow them time to test they were okay. If you want simple ( no high tech lenses) you don't have to come back & collect them as they will whip them up for you quickly.

Another quick option ( if you have your glasses with you) is going to one of the markets like Silk Market and they can copy the lenses and put them in a chosen frame.