We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver for that wall at Mutianyu and Summer Palace

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Ilinois
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Driver for that wall at Mutianyu and Summer Palace

Can someone tell me what a fair price would be for a driver for a day to take my husband and I to the wall, a stop for lunch and then drop off at the Summer Palace?

We will be in Beijing 10/14 - 10/17 and are open to any day, but would like to leave first thing in the morning.

Also I know there is a classified section of a publication but I can't recall the name or link.

Kind Regards All

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver for that wall at Mutianyu and Summer Palace

We paid 500 RBM for Mutianyu + Bird's nest. The driver picked us up at the hotel at 9am, back at 4pm. Usually at this price you can get the Wall + 1 other attraction. We used Eric from the classified adds recommended by Jean-Pierre, and were so satisfied with him that we booked also the trip back to the airport, just to be on the safe side with someone who can speak English instead of the usual Beijing taxi drivers. He even gave us his other phone to call him when we finished being on the Wall.

Chicago, Ilinois
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver for that wall at Mutianyu and Summer Palace

Thank you. Do you remember the classifieds?

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver for that wall at Mutianyu and Summer Palace

thebeijinger.com/classifieds/…Cars-Drivers

If you want the details of Eric, whom we used last week, pls. send me a PM and I'll be happy to reply. Daniela

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,345 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver for that wall at Mutianyu and Summer Palace

The price varies between 450 and 600RMB. I have used on caled Mark in the past. He advertizes there and charges 450.

You can also hire a regular taxi and agree on a fixed rate of 300 to 400.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver for that wall at Mutianyu and Summer Palace

Fair price will be 600-700/ based on car conditions for Mutianyu round trip. If adding Ming Tombs, pay more about 250 Yuan.

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver for that wall at Mutianyu and Summer Palace

Just FYI. We've originally booked Mark on the Sept. 21st for 500RBM (Mutianyu+Bird's nest). On Sept. 26th, hours before departing for the airport destination Beijing, on a hunch, I've sent Mark an e-mail, reminding him of the date (29th),our hotel's phone#,and our name on the hotel's reservation. I couldn't believe my eyes when he replied, saying he is sorry, but already booked on the 29th!!! I immediately forwarded him our e-mails exchange, demanding an explanation. He claimed "misunderstanding" and offered to take us for only 450RBM if we agree on another date. Needless to say, we didn't like his attitude, and hastly compiled a few drivers phone# from the adds, to call them through the concierge when arriving at Beijing. The first name on the list happened to be Eric, he was free, and we are very satisfied with his services.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,486 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver for that wall at Mutianyu and Summer Palace

Based on forum info, I booked with Mark for 450RMB for Oct 28 to Mutianyu. I don't read most forum posts, glad I read this one, I will email Mark to remind him about my reservation. If he forgets again, not a big deal, will find someone else. Also may use JP's suggested rate of 300-400 to find any taxi for round trip, we don't need to chat with the driver on the way. daniel, Thanks for the info.

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver for that wall at Mutianyu and Summer Palace

Hi Macbcmini,

If I may - it's not a matter of chatting with a driver, in fact, we like to travel individually and never went organized/with guide, and were quite afraid of being in a car with someone who likes to chat, my husband is even "allergic" to small-talk... We were lucky that this driver only answered questions, didn't initiate small talk - it was, for us, the ideal "companion". BUT, the point is that I think u need a minimum of communication with a driver, being together with him in the car something like 3-4 hours at least. What if, God forbid, someone doesn't feel good? Happens. U can't even tell him to stop !!! They don't speak even ONE word in English. That was the ONLY reason we wanted someone with whom we could communicate, JUST IN CASE. Best, Daniela

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driver for that wall at Mutianyu and Summer Palace

We were in China in September and we used beijing travels for our transport and guides (beijing-travels.com).

We paid 700RMB for a car/driver and an additional 300RMB for an English speaking guide for the wall at Mutianyu and the Ming tombs. If I did it again I would not do the tombs, not worth it compared to other things to see in Beijing.

The car/drive and tour guide picked us up at our hotel and returned us there but I am they would drop you at the Summer Palace if you wished.

Our driver spoke very little English and I not think I would have been comfortable without the guide. As you said, what if there was an emergency and you could not communicate?

We were overall very pleased with beijing-travels and also used them for airport and train transfers and for a car/driver/tour guide in Xian.

They were great, waiting for us upon arrival in Beijing even though our plane was 8 hours late, the driver parking his car and going with us into the Beijing train station and making sure we got to the correct waiting room, and our guide in Xian going with us to the airport and helping us get check on our flight to Changchun and getting our seat assignments. We flew on China East and our e-tickets were in Chinese as was the train ticket in Beijing. We were glad for the help and there was no extra charge

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driver for that wall at Mutianyu and Summer Palace

If there is an emergency you can call these numbers. Mandarin & English speakers available:

110 - Police

120 - Ambulance