We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing to Shanghai

Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing to Shanghai

I have read some posts regarding travel between Beijing and Shanghai. We are not sure whether to catch a plane (approx 2 hours) or the G class train (approx 5 hours). What are your suggestions and experiences? Are flights usually delayed and whereabouts does the train arrive in Shanghai?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,730 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing to Shanghai

They are pretty much equivalent although the train would be more relaxing. The train arrive at the Hongqiao station in Shanghai which is next to the Hongqiao airport and the subway.

Considering that you have no delay for checking in, no security and do not have to wait for luggage when you arrive, there is not much time difference. Trains are always on time. With flights it is not as bad as other countries but delays are always possible. Also more room to walk around on the train.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing to Shanghai

Jean-Pierre sums it up right. It is basically a matter of personal preference.

Personally II prefer to fly, because I do not like to sit at the same place for a long time. Although in the train you can walk around more then in the plane, traveling by plane has more variation in total.

I never had many delays flying to Shanghai and back. Once a cancelled flight due to snow in Beijing. But I guess that was more being lucky then good service.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing to Shanghai

hI I took the g11 train from Beijing which leaves at 8 am and arrives at Shanghai Hongqiao train station just before 1pm. Its a comfortable ride, even in second class and travels at an average speed of 300 kms/hr. When you arrive in shanghai you have immediate access to the Shanghai subway making it easy to get just about anywhere in Shanghai. I used shanghai airport to depart to my next destination and thats also on a subway line. The airport like just about every airport in china is super proficient. I left by air from shanghai to my next destination. I quite like train travel so unless you have time restrictions would definitely recommend the G trains.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

San Diego
Level Contributor
169 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing to Shanghai

I took the G train (bullet train) last October and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was fast and convenient. Also, I enjoyed seeing the changing countryside along the route. A taxi from the Shanghai train station to the Bund area took quite a while due to heavy traffic, but my hotel was too far from the subway to lug luggage.

For me, the train was great.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
299 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing to Shanghai

Train is fine - The night train enables you to have one less night of hotel to pay...and the location of the station is pretty convenient (there is a subway).

You can leave Beijing at night and arrive in Shanghai early in the morning, ready for your first day.

Hope it helps.

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
206 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing to Shanghai

May be you can choose high-speed train which had been launched in last year. The wide inside ensures travellers a more comfortable tour. And also, the cost is equivalent to the air ticket.And the duration of this train is around 5 hours, more or less the same with taking a flight from Beijing to Shanghai.

Direction: Beijing to Shanghai

Beginning Station: Beijing South Railway Station

Terminal Station: Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station

G series CRH runs in 300km / hour

D series CRH runs in 250km / hour

Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beijing to Shanghai

Thanks all for your help! Is there a chance tickets will sell out if I arrive in Beijing and need to travel to Shanghai the next 3 days?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,730 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beijing to Shanghai

I would only worry about tickets on holidays, long weekends amd maybe weekend. I am doing this ride in 2-3 days amd have not even looked at tickets yet. There are many trains.

Belgium
Level Contributor
317 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beijing to Shanghai

I would prefer to take a plane. The flight takes only 2 hours. And it's easy to book your domestic flight ticket in advance. We booked through Travelzen:

http://www.travelzen.com/flight/

Paid about 75 EUR for a one way ticket Beijing-Shanghai

10. Re: Beijing to Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 01:40