We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bullet train from Beijing - looking for help!

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
bullet train from Beijing - looking for help!

Hi, I am travelling to Beijing at the start of June, myself (mum) and my son (16years). I am looking at taking my son on the bullet train as part of his birthday. I just need some advice. We will be in Beijing for 9 days and have booked a hotel for this period. I just wonder if there is a trip on the train that can be done in a day, return? Also what the cost is?

Thanks for your help :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,488 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bullet train from Beijing - looking for help!

You could go to Tianjin.

The bullet class train are the C trains and take about 40 minutes one way. The leave from Beijing South station regularly and arrive in at Tianjin main station.

There is not a huge amount to see in Tianjin but it is a good option for the bullet train.

Timetable here: travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/…

As you have 9 days in Beijing you could also shorten your time there slightly and get the day Bullet train to Shanghai - the G class bullet trains take under 6 hours. Stay in Shanghai overnight to look around. The train timetable is on the link above. Either get the bullet train back to Beijing or fly ( you should be able to pick up a discounted flight).

Annie

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,081 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bullet train from Beijing - looking for help!

As Annie says, Tianjin is the shortest bullettrain but a waste a timein my opinion. If it wasn't for the fact that they show the speed in the train, you would have no idea it is going that far.

Going for a day to Shanghai is a good idea. The train ride is actually about 5 hours.

Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bullet train from Beijing - looking for help!

In a day?

As Jean metioned, you can travel from Beijing to Shanghai within 6 hours by fast train.

You can take the train to Shanghai in the morning, play around Shanghai, stay a night or two, explore Suzhou maybe. 9 days in Beijng seems too long to me.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bullet train from Beijing - looking for help!

It is a long day. And you need to take G train towards Shanghai, your options are Qufu 245, Nanjing 445, Suzhou 525, Shanghai 555. You could also consider Mt. Taishan, time very limited though.

Price following City name is for 2nd class of G trains. D trains are a bit slow, so avoid them.

Edited: 12 April 2012, 01:57
Beijing
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bullet train from Beijing - looking for help!

I suggest Suzhou, it's a very historical city, with many oriental sites to see.

You could find detail information about Suzhou in the followiwng link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzhou

The travel time is 5 hours, and it costs 525 for a 2nd class ticket one-way.

One night stay in Suzhou is recommanded.

6. Re: bullet train from Beijing - looking for help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:40