We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking app

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Hiking app

Can anyone recommend a good hiking app for Hong Kong.

13 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
303 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Hiking app

Google Maps and Hiking Trail HK are ones I've used. They're great since you can use it offline. (you'll need to download the area for Google Maps)

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
2. Re: Hiking app

The HK Govt's Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Dept has an "Enjoy Hiking" mobile app with about 80 long trails, short trails, nature trails and family walks;

https:/…cou_apps.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
9,398 posts
3. Re: Hiking app

I've learnt not to trust Google Maps at all on hiking trails. They may have improved, though.

By far the best so far is OpenStreetMap; easy to use with Locus Maps - it also supports the vector maps, very small, super high detail, including (very important!) contour data (sorry, not allowed to post the link as it's on my guided tour site).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Hiking app

Is open street map an app on iOS?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
9,398 posts
5. Re: Hiking app

Open Street Map aka OSM is a crowd-sourced map: https://www.openstreetmap.org/

Locus Maps is a mapping app. Probably not on iOS, no idea about mapping apps on iOS.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,283 posts
74 reviews
6. Re: Hiking app

I agree, you want an app that supports OSM. There must be some available on iOS, but I don't know what they are. On Android, Locus Map, as mentioned, is the one to beat. It's not available on iOS.

Don't rely on Google Maps for trails. OSM is the king of trail maps, and in Hong Kong it definitely shows.

PS, here's a sample: https:/…C

Edited: 18 January 2018, 19:43
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Hiking app

Awesome. Thanks for the link. Will just use that with a local SIM card in my iPhone

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,283 posts
74 reviews
8. Re: Hiking app

Glad to help. But note, an app will have a you-are-here indicator, whereas a web map like the one I linked to doesn't.

You can also find the same data, but presented a few different ways, here:

opencyclemap.org/…

Note the tiny Layers widget at the top-right corner for changing styles. (That applies to both the sites actually.)

Happy hiking. I love the trails in HK. :)

Edited: 19 January 2018, 10:34
Hong Kong, China
3 posts
9. Re: Hiking app

Just to continue this theme, I’m thinking of buying a dedicated GPS tracker, which I’d load with OSM mapping, instead of using a smartphone with suitable app. Any views on this? Any particular model recommendations?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,283 posts
74 reviews
10. Re: Hiking app

You mean a handheld GPS unit? The GPS-vs-phone issue is a regular topic over at forums.geocaching.com, with fans on both sides.

My view: For the price of an entry-level GPS unit, you can buy a rugged Android phone (search AliExpress for those three words; I use and am happy with a BlackView), and use it just for navigation. You don't have to put a SIM in a phone, meaning no monthly bills; you just load it up with maps etc. over WiFi, similar to how you'd pre-load a GPS unit with a cable. Then add Locus Map, which excels at OSM, especially offline OSM. With this combo, you have a complete replacement for a traditional GPS unit.

Or you can do like I do: make the rugged phone your main phone, by putting in a SIM.

Reply to: Hiking app
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted