We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using corporate rates for booking hotels for private use

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Using corporate rates for booking hotels for private use

Hi All,

I work for a big investment bank in London who often send people abroad on business trips and therefore has a preffered list of hotels around the globe. Recently, a friend of mine told me that I can get the company to book the hotels at the places I will be visting later this year. Talking to a colleague of mine who travels a lot he suggested the same thing ! He said that I should get the secretary to make the reservations for me. " All it does it to get the corporate deal". Looking at the corporate rates they look about 1/3 less than the normal prices. However, I don't feel comfortable walking up to our secretary asking her to book a hotel for me. Obviously, she would have to go through the onsite travel agency we have within the bank, but I 'm not sure whether employees are meant to use this kind of "facility". I just wanted to hear other people's opinion on this. Is this something people regularly do ? I will of course check with the travel agency in the bank first l, but in the meantime I wanted to hear your opinions on this. As my friend put it, "This is one of benefits of working in the bank. After all everybody does it !"

Thansk in advance.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,199 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using corporate rates for booking hotels for private use

I don't see much of a problem with it as your company is not paying for your room. However, if you are in doubt, it's better to ask your boss about your company's policy than in this forum.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,122 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using corporate rates for booking hotels for private use

I agree with Sammy. And I do hear it's done all the time.

You're paying for it, and as long as you inform your supervisor/boss, go ahead, enjoy the privilege!

Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using corporate rates for booking hotels for private use

I used to work for LCMG and we had a dedicated travel agents and we were encouraged to use them for business and personal travel (tho they weren't always cheaper, so do your research first). We were all given the agents number and could contact them ourselves.

Maybe ask your sec to give you the contact for the company agent or how to get onto the site to book it and if she/he offers to help, then you wont feel too guilty about it.

Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,274 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using corporate rates for booking hotels for private use

Whether you can use company resources(secretary) for personal travel is corporate policy. I have been rebuffed once working for a certain employer, that was contacting the on-site corporate travel agent directly. On the other hand, some company encourages you to use the travel service even for personal travel.

however, to get corporate rates, you often only have to "ask for" it when making the reservation, usually by phone, unless it's a really special low, long term rate.

I have never been asked to provide ID during check-in/out to validate eligibility. Not to mention "ID" means your business card.

Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
54 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using corporate rates for booking hotels for private use

yes it is a common practice. most managers (in our company) who go on vacation take advantage of this corporate rate thing. my boss (and i am his secretary) do this on our vacation. since i am familiar with the people in the reservations department of that hotel, i personally book the reservation and the people there automatically give me the corporate rate - even if it is for my vacation. actually in our office it is an acceptable practice. and it is easier to check in. just say the name of your company and it is automatic.

go on...try it...

Level Contributor
556 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Using corporate rates for booking hotels for private use

My recommendation is to review your company's travel guidelines with regards to Corporate rates for personal use.

I worked in a multi-national company and employees cannot use the Corporate rates for personal use as it may interfere & increase the MNC's travel budget.

How the MNC Corp rates are worked out :-

MNC provide an estimated forecast on # of travellers who will require the hotel's rooms per mth/ year by location/countries.

This resulted in company's preferred hotels to offer "x" number of rooms for Corporate rates, but if beyond the # of bookings, then the rates will be rack/promo rates.

7. Re: Using corporate rates for booking hotels for private use

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 14:19