We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Service Apartments?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Service Apartments?

Hi guys,

Any suggestion whether it is better to stay at a hotel or a service apartments? we're going to HK on December 2010 and gonna stay there for 6 days around new year.

Anyway, i've stumbled across a service apartment in causeway bay, i think its called Causeway Corner, Anybody have stayed there? I've been browsing for some reviews but couldn't find any.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Causeway Corner
Causeway Corner
47 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hotel ICON
Hotel ICON
#3 of 731 hotels in Hong Kong
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
#5 of 731 hotels in Hong Kong
Cordis, Hong Kong
Cordis, Hong Kong
#8 of 731 hotels in Hong Kong
Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Service Apartments?

I guess there is no 'better' option as such, as it really depends on the reasons why you're after an apartment (or a hotel). However, in general, many serviced apartments are only available for monthly rentals, although, quite a few are now being made available for daily/weekly rental.

Causeway Corner: "i have stayed a causeway corner in cwb before and that was nice but this time the budget is around 6k." - www.geoexpat.com/forum/61/thread6818.html (Hardly helpful, but, the only thing I could find, sorry!). I did see that HK Expert SolentTraveller mentioned them as a possible option to another TA member though.

If you're after apartments, Shama Causeway Bay: www.shama.com/index.php… and Shama Central: www.shama.com/index.php… offer daily rates as well. You also have hotel/apartments like Lanson Place Hotel, which have kitchenettes.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time in HK! :)

Mentioned in this post
Causeway Corner
Causeway Corner
47 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,058 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Lanson Place Hotel
Lanson Place Hotel
1,557 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Service Apartments?

Thanks Randomsushi

Yes, the comment on geoexpat is the only thing i could find about them on the web, besides their official website. Other than that, couldn't find any review or their room layout.

Lanson place is a bit out of budget, I guess i'll take a look at shama, the one on causeway bay is directly in front of times square right?

Actually whether its an apartment or a hotel really doesn't matter to us, its just that we're thinking perhaps for 6 (six) days it would be more cheaper/better cost value to stay at a service apartment :)

Mentioned in this post
Lanson Place Hotel
Lanson Place Hotel
1,557 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Service Apartments?

Yes, they're opposite Times Square, so, you'll have easy access to the MTR.

In terms of price, I haven't found apartments to be cheaper than hotels. However, there are added pluses like a kitchen (or kitchenette) or perhaps more space, which you wouldn't find in hotels. HK has a variety of dining options to suit all budget ranges, so, whether you actually save a lot of money by eating in may just depend on you.

What is your budget range per night? Perhaps, members can suggest some hotels, if you will be considering them in your search as well.

Good luck with your planning and have an AMAZING trip! :)

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
786 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Service Apartments?

Hey Rooney,

Bear in mind that that would be one of the busiest times for any hotel, and remember if you are going to be getting all your friends together, a hotel may not be the best option.

Have you stayed around Lan Kwai Fong? Its more happening during NYE. I've stayed at Ovolo before, nice big apartments (and a quick walkup from Dragon-i).

Let us know how you go Rooney!

Mentioned in this post
Lan Kwai Fong
Lan Kwai Fong
1,450 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Dragon-i
Dragon-i
122 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Service Apartments?

Random-sushi

My budget would be around HKD 1000 per room per night, I thought that for that budget it would be easier to get a nice service apartment than a nice hotel... :p

Gabe

will try to check ovolo, thanks, but i heard LKF is closed / roadblocked during the new year's eve and its very crowded there?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Service Apartments?

LKF usually isn't closed on NYE when you enter from the top, the bottom is hell from Dec 24-Jan2!

Always, ALWAYS, enter LKF from Arbuthnot Road side, the police are quite lax around there, and the good bars are located around there (so really makes no point hiking up from Central MTR)...

Keep us up to date on how your travel plans go! For a cost of HKD$1,000 per night, that's reasonable for that period, just got to book early!

Mentioned in this post
MTR
MTR
19,713 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
7. Re: Service Apartments?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 00:17