We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Garden Hotel or Rosedale Park or Ibis Hotel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
City Garden Hotel or Rosedale Park or Ibis Hotel

Hey guys,

So i narrowed down my choices to 2 - City Garden or Rosedale.

Which one is better in terms of location, proximity to the MTR station and room/amenities?

Out of curiosity - How is Ibis North Point hotel? The price seems to be the cheapest around North Point area.

I would appreciate any help you can give me! thanks

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
1. Re: City Garden Hotel or Rosedale Park or Ibis Hotel

City Garden is close to a MTR station. Rosedale is between two MTR stations. Ibis has very small rooms.

Rosedale may have better rooms than City Garden, but the latter has better access to MTR.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
106 reviews
2. Re: City Garden Hotel or Rosedale Park or Ibis Hotel

City Garden is slightly better than Rosedale in terms of location cos it is closer to a MTR station.

Yes, the rooms in Ibis is extremely small and they don't even have a proper desk... but where can you find a full harbour view in HK (not facing the 'right' direction though) with less than HK$500 a night? Transportation wise it's somewhat convenience just that you don't expect a lot of action by the doorstep as it's a residential district. Taxi is cheap and handy so don't worry about going back to hotel after a fun night at LKF and the star ferry pier is just a block away.

Just a question, why would you choose North Point / Fortress Hill? Some people (including me) don't like the fact that it's kind of a residential distract although a lot of people wouldn't care and even like it

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
3. Re: City Garden Hotel or Rosedale Park or Ibis Hotel

What is your budget range per night? Perhaps, there are also other hotels, which you could take into consideration.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time in HK! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4. Re: City Garden Hotel or Rosedale Park or Ibis Hotel

Thanks guys for the help!!

@onelightyear - I will be going to HK for the first time and I really have no clue where to stay, i'm just going by the hotel reviews i've been reading..so any input will be a huge help for me! I'm only gonna be in HK for 4 days, i prefer to stay in the middle of everything. I'm glad you told me that fortress/northpoint is actually a residential area. Where do you recommend a first-time visitor to stay? My main purpose is to shop and eat!

@randomsunshine - i don't want to spend more than $135/night since i most likely be outside the hotel anyway. I just want a hotel that is in a good location, clean and safe since i'll be travelling alone. Do you have any hotel recommendation that meets my budget?

I appreciate all the help!!! thanks!

Alexandria, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: City Garden Hotel or Rosedale Park or Ibis Hotel

I have stayed at both the Ibis and City Garden and found both acceptable and value for money. When I visit HK with her that shall be obeyed, we tend to stay in a hotel with the full range of services.

City Garden: Good location and about 5 mins walk from MTR. Good area for eateries and shopping. Easy and quick transport links to all other areas and a pleasant 20/30 min leisurely walk via Victoria Park to Causeway Bay.

Good size clean rooms and we have always found the staff and service very good. Excellent Malaysian restaurant on the G/Floor.

Ibis: I use the Ibis when I am in HK on my own, and although it is a no frills hotel have always found in great value for money. 50m walk to MTR entrance. Yes the rooms are small but kept clean by good housekeeping staff. There is no baths only showers in the rooms that I have stayed in. The one big plus is that half the rooms have a harbour view. They have a limited range of food available in the coffee shop type area. Not the plushest of hotels, but clean and good VFM. Who goes to HK to sit in their hotel anyway??

I like North Point as it is close to all the amenities and just a wee bit nearer the old Hong Kong that I remember when I lived there many years ago. Anyway whatever you choose I am sure you will have a great time.

Hope this helps.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,221 posts
171 reviews
6. Re: City Garden Hotel or Rosedale Park or Ibis Hotel

I would probably pick Rosedale myself. Causeway Bay MTR station is no more than a 5 minute walk from the hotel. You go outside the hotel and take the pedestrian bridge across and you are just about in the heart of Causeway Bay. Causeway Bay itself is much more vibrant and interesting than North Point, which is an older residential neighborhood.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
106 reviews
7. Re: City Garden Hotel or Rosedale Park or Ibis Hotel

Actually try hotels in Kowloon... they are generally cheaper. Expecially the districts like Jordan and Mongkok, which is close to the markets with great range of hotels...

Eaton - in Jordan. 4 stars. priced usually within your budget. Modern, nice hotel just few minutes walk from Temple street market. great service, ok pool but the room is kind of small

Novotel Nathan Road - in Jordan. 4 stars. price within your budget. relatively new, efficient service, a few minutes walk from temple street market. small rooms

Metropark Mongkok - in Mongkok. 3 stars. cheap rooms, a bit old, about 5 mins walk to the centre mongkok shopping district like ladies market. ok smallish room size

Royal Plaza Hotel - in Mongkok.. 5 stars. sometimes a little bit over your budget. about about 10 mins walk to the centre mongkok shopping district like ladies market. huge rooms. super nice health club including swimming pool. extremely slow check in and check out

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,258 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: City Garden Hotel or Rosedale Park or Ibis Hotel

Another vote for Rosedale... out of the three original picks.

It is just on the fringe of all the shopping and amenities in Causeway Bay, and not far from the MTR.

Although North Point is not really that far away from Causeway Bay (3 MTR stops), the Rosedale does have an edge.

On another note, I saw another Best Western being built (Rosedale is also a Best Western branch), seems to be near the South Pacific Hotel in Wanchai. Wonder if anyone knows when it's due to open.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
9. Re: City Garden Hotel or Rosedale Park or Ibis Hotel

@luv2travel311, will second the advices for stay in Rosedale.

Also meets your objective to shop and eat with plethora of eateries around this area and also shopping mall of Times Square, Sogo Dept Store, Lee Gardens and many shops.

Also provides complimentary WiFi access in room. No such privilege in IBIS and City Garden- with both(have to pay).

Try to negotiate and see if Rosedale could offer their stay 3N,free 1N offer for you.

Depending on your physical stature and amount of luggage on you, you may find IBIS rather too small- not only the room size,but also the bed. If you are of small frame,then it is fine.

Beds on the other two hotels are fine,and can comfortably accommodate western frame size.

I will go for either Rosedale or City Garden, and in view of your number of nights and depending on your month of visit, you may even get a complimentary room upgrade,which gives you more space; with IBIS, room upgrade may give you a harbour view, but room size is still small.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
106 reviews
10. Re: City Garden Hotel or Rosedale Park or Ibis Hotel

I think the Rosedale is not under the Best Western Management anymore. but the hotel still seems ok... I'd won't stand by my suggestion for staying in Kowloon though... haha!