We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! DimSum near Central MTR - along the way to the Peak.

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Topic
Help! DimSum near Central MTR - along the way to the Peak.

hi guys,

im stopping over in hk for 12hrs and will be with my family and grandma whos 80+, 7 pax altogether.

I arrive at 11am. heres a rough itinerary.

11am - mtr to central station.

12pm - dim sum lunch

2pm - the peak

5pm - walk towards/ around soho

6pm - dinner at yung kee

8pm - ladies street then back to airport

i need a recommendation for dim sum which is along the way from the mtr station to the peak. somewhere with decent quality food that does not require much queueing or takes reservation on a sunday noon.

i appreciate any help and advise guys. thanks!!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! DimSum near Central MTR - along the way to the Peak.

You have plenty of dim sum choices. Just to name a few:

Cuisine Cuisine or Lei Garden (IFC atop Hong Kong station, both expensive)

Lung King Heen (Four Seasons, connected to Hong Kong station extremely expensive)

Jasmine Place or Chiuchow Garden (both at Jardine House, Central, mid-tier)

Lippo Chiuchow (Lippo Centre, near Admiralty Station, mid-tier)

All these places take reservation. Go to Openrice for more information:

http://www.openrice.com/english

Be sure to reserve for Yung Kee as well in advance before you arrive HK. Sunday evenings are crowded.

Edited: 05 March 2012, 03:21
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,950 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! DimSum near Central MTR - along the way to the Peak.

>> somewhere with decent quality food that does not require much queueing or takes reservation on a sunday noon. <<

On a Sunday at noon... that is a very busy hour.

Edited: 05 March 2012, 03:28
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,736 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! DimSum near Central MTR - along the way to the Peak.

There is a Tim Ho Wan on the upper floors of Hong Kong Station. But you may need to queue by the time you get there.

Walking around soho may not be good idea for your grandma, since there are lots of steep slopes and steps. It may be better to go for a ding ding tram ride instead.

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! DimSum near Central MTR - along the way to the Peak.

sammy: all those places you mentioned doesn't seem to be along the way to the peak. was hoping to find a place which i dont have to detour for the sake of the elders. nonetheless, thank you for the suggestions. i will check out the website.. =)

happyfeet: yah, i realise that sundays are always busier. thus i hope someone can recommend me somewhere.. =)

glacier: thank you for the suggestion! i might just do that.. =)

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! DimSum near Central MTR - along the way to the Peak.

I don't think Sammyfloyd's recommendations would require you to detour much at all, since you will be at Central Station anyway (you'd just need to follow the signs to the most relevant Exit), but, I guess it would depend on what you consider to be a detour.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time in HK! :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! DimSum near Central MTR - along the way to the Peak.

The places I listed aren't really a detour. Some of the restaurants are right at the HK station complex so you don't need to go anywhere. The Jardine Hosue locations are within a 3-minute walk from HK station. I also listed an Admiralty should you decide to head to the Peak Tram station through Hong Kong Park. You cannot get any closer than these places.

The key element missing in your info is how do you intend to get to The Peak? However, keep in mind you cannot just exit HK station and find transport up to The Peak with a restaurant in between. If you take bus 15, for example, there is nothing between the station complex and the actual bus stop. If you opt for the tram, there are no Chinese restaurants at the Peak Tram Terminus.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
596 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! DimSum near Central MTR - along the way to the Peak.

Check out Maxim's in City Hall. Also, we went to the Peak late afternoon and got to be up there when the city lights came on. Beautiful.

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! DimSum near Central MTR - along the way to the Peak.

Agree completely with Sammyfloyd about the transport issue. I think that's why I couldn't understand how recommendations like those in the IFC would be a detour because they're right there, and there was no place I could think of that someone could bang into while on their way to the Peak!

Good luck with your planning and have an AMAZING trip! :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! DimSum near Central MTR - along the way to the Peak.

The problem with Maxim's at City Hall is there will always be a line unless you go there right when it opens. Maxim's does not take reservations.

10. Re: Help! DimSum near Central MTR - along the way to the Peak.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 13:41