We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
holiday between hong kong and shenzhen

Hi

Please can anyone could help me with some advice.

My boyfriend and I (perhaps more friends) are planning to go to Hong Kong / Shenzhen end of this year, December 2012 to January 2013. We will be flying from Taiwan and arrive in Hong Kong either on the 30th or 31st of December 2012.

We want to spend New Year’s Eve in Hong Kong.

We are all students so we are on a budget. Maximum $75 a night. I’ve looked around and it seems much cheaper to stay in Shenzhen instead. Our main goals are cheap shopping in Shenzhen and site-seeing in HK. We’re looking on staying for about 10 days, with day trips to HK. I know I need to get a multi-entry visa, which should not be a problem.

Please can you recommend?

1. Good budget places to stay in HK and Shenzhen that are decent

2. Nice day trip itineraries for things to do in HK (mostly site-seeing)

3. Cheap shopping areas in Shenzhen, more markets than proper shopping centres.

4. What to do for New Years Eve

5. Easiest way to travel to and from HK – Shenzhen, durations & costs

6. Are there any sales during this time?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Carla

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: holiday between hong kong and shenzhen

Again I strongly advise against this strategy. You will not enjoy your time in HK at all, in my estimation. Have you looked into some of the cheaper hotels or hostels in HK? How about the dorm rooms at the Salisbury YMCA?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
5,789 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: holiday between hong kong and shenzhen

With a budget of $75 a night, you are probably looking at guesthouse/hostels in HK. But that is ok! There is one that the wife and I regularly recommend called Dragon Hostel in Mongkok, across from where the Ladies (night) market begins. It is very basic but rooms are clean, the place is tidy, well managed and it is safe and generally quiet. I'd consider this guesthouse but you'd need to reserve early as they are booked up quite far in advance these days.

If they are not available on your dates, you can try a similar place, called Ah Shan Hostel in the same building as Dragon Hostel. We don't have personal experience with this place but it takes similarly good reviews on TA.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
5,789 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: holiday between hong kong and shenzhen

>>>2. Nice day trip itineraries for things to do in HK (mostly site-seeing)<<<

Check out FAQ [Must see/do in Hong Hong]. Also, here are a couple of travel trip lists to help you plan your attractions here.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23948-What_to_…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i27892-The_Best…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24685-Mongkok_…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i25656-Hong_Kon…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i26979-Macau_Da…

Have a nice time planning your trip to HK and hope you enjoy our city.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: holiday between hong kong and shenzhen

Have to agree with TSS and BJ. You may probably find some cheaper accommodation in Shenzhen, but it would be a pain to go back and forth everyday. On New Years Eve, you would probably party well into the night, and it would be rather difficult to get back to Shenzhen unless you want to party til dawn.

On NYE, there would be countdown celebrations in various places in Hong Kong. Most popular are Lan Kwai Fong (bars), the Tsimshatsui promenade (watch the pyrotechnics across the harbour, if offered), and Times Square in Causeway Bay (another countdown).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
5,789 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: holiday between hong kong and shenzhen

I don't like the name, BJ! ;-)

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: holiday between hong kong and shenzhen

@ ThanksSocialSecurity - Thank you so much for your advice am reconsidering splitting our holiday to two parts and staying in HK for a few nights then go to Shenzhen. I had not looked at the YMCA and they will notify me when rates are available for end of the year. :)

@BradJill - thank you so so much for all your links. Will make up an Itinerary and post it soon so hopefully you can help me run through it when i am done to see if its all doable? thank you you so much for your advice

@Glacifed - the pyrotechnics sound spectacular! I think we're hoping to plan for that. thanks for your input

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: holiday between hong kong and shenzhen

misspon, not sure if you've seen, but, I sent back a reply to your PM. Hope that was of some help.

Good luck with your planning and have an AMAZING trip! :)

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: holiday between hong kong and shenzhen

Personally, I have been to China a couple of time and I love it. The shopping and the food... it is amazing. I have been to Hong Kong one time and although I love it, it is not as awesome as China.

Just my two cents.

Sally Davis

s.davis@truebluenegotiations.com

9. Re: holiday between hong kong and shenzhen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2012, 06:18
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: holiday between hong kong and shenzhen

Just back from a similar tour, wouldnt recommend you to stay in Shenzhen & day-trip down to HK as after a whole day walk in HK you would wish you reach your hotel as quickly as possible. Split your stay maybe 5-5 or 4-6 nights.

1. Its New Year super peak period, try hostels or cheaper hotels in Mongkok, Yaumatei area.

2. Places of interest, Big Buddha, Wong Tai Sin, Ladies Street, Temple Street, Avenue of Stars + Victoria Harbour, The Peak.

3. Luohu Shopping Centre is ok but I would prefer Dongmen Shopping Street, more stalls/shops & price more resonable.

4. New Yer Eve???? Of course parties, either in Lan Kwai Fong or google around for any street/open-air celebration

5. Easiest, Shenzhen-HK is by MTR, my friend tried it from Mongkok back to Dongmen is about 1.5 hours all-in including immigration, cost is cheap but not sure how much cause he used Octopus card in HK and just few RMB for MTR in Shenzhen.

6. They are always sales in HK, but major 1 is in July-August. Wanna get some genuine branded cheap, try Citygate Outlet (Tung Chung MTR station, same with Big Buddha)