We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going this August

Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Going this August

Hi,

I will travel to Bali for 2 and half weeks this August and I haven't decided entirely where to go, so some advice would be welcomed.

We plan to start in Ubud and stay for 5 days or so, but after that we haven't decided on everything yet.

This is about what we have thought so far:

- Ubud for 4-5 days or so

- Either stay for a couple of days around Padangbai or maybe Sideman. Not sure if we should stay close to the beach or inland (suggestions please)

- we want to hike either Mount Agung or Batur. they aren't that far way from each other, but I am a bit unsure were to stay here for a couple of days and which one to choose.

- Maybe stay for some days in Munduk to visit the waterfalls. I saw it's close to Corvina beach if we decide to visit it for one day. Should we stay here or closer to Ulun Danu Beratan temple?

- travel to Denpassar and take a ferry to Nusa Penida and spend some days there. How many do you recommend here?

- return to Denpassar

Thanks for any help and advises

4 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Going this August

There is an exclusion zone around Mount Agung so you will need to settle for Batur.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
781 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Going this August

And Batur can easily be arranged from Ubud.

Padangbai isn't really a place that most people stay in. My understanding is that it is more of a transit area for the boats going to the Gili islands. If you want to consider a coastal area on the east, perhaps consider nearby Candidasa or Amed instead? But Sidemen could be lovely too if you are looking for a quieter, more remote area for a few days.

When you say Corvina beach, do you mean Lovina beach? If so, staying in Munduk vs Lovina will be up to you. Again, it is sort of the more remote inland, vs more accessible coastal area. If you want to spend a few days here, staying In Lovina could allow you to see a few other waterfalls as well a bit quicker, like Aling Aling and Sekumpul, but they can also be accessed from Munduk too.

As for Nusa Penida, I see many people suggesting a 3 day stay.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,905 posts
88 reviews
3. Re: Going this August

As above Padangbai not a popular place to stay. Maybe for a bit of diving/snorkeling but as a diver myself wouldn’t bother.

However to fit in stuff bear in mind you can get the cheap big RORO ferry from Padangbai to Penida. Takes just over an hour and only costs ~ IDR40k.

Overall time can be a bit longer as the ferry loads and unloads large lorries first.

Only runs twice a day.

First service at 0830

Second around 1700/1730

FASTBOATS to Penida go from Sanur. If you are staying in places like Ubud or any “southern resort” the boat will include free drop offs and pickups. Get best prices by booking at tourist booths

Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Going this August

Hi and thanks for all the replies.

We've gone through our itinerary and it feels we are reaching somewhere

- stay like mentioned in ubud for 4-5 days

- move to sideman and stay for 3-4 days. We can do some day trips to some places around like padangbai and mt. Batur.

- after we are thinking on traveling to Munduk

- now it's where it gets tricky. We were thinking on going to Nusa Penida and then to denpasar, but we are very uncertain about visiting menjangan to do some diving and snorkeling. I know you can also do it at the Nusas islands but menjangan looks really different and nice.

What do you think, is it worth to go there?

Thanks

Reply to: Going this August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted