We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations

Travelling to Sanur and outskirts of Ubud from UK. I have most of the basic vacs up to date hep A, typhoid, tetanus, diphtheria.

However, I visited a travel clinic yesterday and they suggested that for areas around the rice fields it might be wise to vaccinate against Japanese Encephalitis. It is a very expensive vaccine. Wondering if anyone else got the vaccine or anyone local to Ubud area that knows of cases of J Encep in the area?

The clinic also said Rabies might be an idea?

Could have went on a holiday to the Mediterranean for the cost of these vaccines lol

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
6 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations

Hep A, typhoid, tetanus and a good mosquito repellent is all we do for anywhere we've travelled in asia incl Bali

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations

Personally I am more than happy with the vaccinations that you already have when I travel to Bali and am very careful not to get bitten by mosquitoes as you are also at risk of dengue fever and there is no vaccination for that! As for rabies - it is very rare. So up to you to make up your mind.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
14,260 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations

We had never bothered with anything for over 10years except a good mozzie repellant. Last year the company offered basically everything for free. Still didn’t bother with rabies although the wife did. Never bothered with Jap Enc. personal decision

Rabies is now very rare. Just don’t play with dogs (although we were today at Villa Kitty Ubud along with the cats). As mentioned above biggest problem is Dengue.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,909 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations

Great to hear that you visited Villa Kitty, Pigsty. What a wonderful place.

Anyway, lovethesun, we all have different ideas as to what sort of innoculation and immunisations to have for travel to different parts of the world, so it would not be responsible for any of us to give concrete advice. That decision must be yours based on advice from your own medical professionals.

However I do suggest that you use a good insect repellent and a local easily obtainable product called Soffel is very good. Ingestable products for malaria protection can make some people quite ill and don’t protect you from dengue fever, which is more common in Bali than malaria.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,508 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations

Your travel clinic is being overly cautious in recommending these and possibly for their own benefit rather than yours. For instance, the NHS own guidance on the JE vaccine for Indonesia states "Risk is higher for long stay travellers to rural areas, particularly if unable to avoid mosquito bites."

Similarly for the rabies vaccine their guidance states "Risk is higher for those going to remote areas (who may not be able to promptly access appropriate treatment in the event of a bite), long stays, those at higher risk of contact with animals and bats, and children". If you're volunteering with a charity such as BARC and working with dogs there then yes I'd consider the vaccine. If not, then just ensure normal primary vaccines and boosters are up to date.

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/…indonesia

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations

I remember decades ago when we first started venturing overseas and a bit paranoid we visited a 'travel clinic' and they recommended everything in sight with a price tag to cry over, we gave them a miss and just went to our GP and would never again visit one of those clinics, after years of travelling we now just stick to the usual hep A , typhoid even that one not always depends where we're going and definately keep tetanus up to date and we now also have an annual flu shot.

But no one on here are experts including myself so we can only tell you what we personally do.

Reply to: Vaccinations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted