We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westpac Atm's in Bali???

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
508 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Westpac Atm's in Bali???

Would anyone know whether there are Westpac teller machines in Bali? I thought if I were to use my Debit/mastercard for a withdrawal it wouldn't charge me the $5 fee.

Iknow there is quite a few Commonwealth ones.

And I know $5 fee is not much, but every little bit adds up, and its better in my pocket than theirs, wouldn't you agree :)

thanks in advance

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westpac Atm's in Bali???

I've never seen one. It would be interesting to hear if Commonwealth ATMs here (and they're not common either) charge a fee. My daughter enquired here about accessing money from her Commonwealth account and was told although it has the same name it's not linked to Australian accounts.

Woy Woy, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Westpac Atm's in Bali???

I just had a look at the Westpac Website re: accessing money overseas. Westpac has a number of Global Alliance Partners around the world and you can use their atms without incurring the $5 fee. Unfortunately none of these partners are in Indonesia.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westpac Atm's in Bali???

Hi Newgabe,

That is exactly what I have been told - only the name, Commonwealth,is the same but that's it!

Cheers

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,746 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westpac Atm's in Bali???

and we found that our normal westpac key card would not work.

We had to use our credit card but choose the savings or cheque account option that they have linked to them.

The matercard we could only use at a mastercard signed machine and the amex at a amex signed machine.

For this reason, we don;t just depepnd on cards, we take cash.

Yes we have seen the Commonwealth machines.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
508 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westpac Atm's in Bali???

Thanks for the information everyone.

I spoke to someone at Westpac (in Australia), and yes it is correct they do not have any alliance partners in Indonesia.

So it would be a $5 fee plus 3% conversion rate, for a debit mastercard.

I also spoke to someone at the Commonwealth bank, and they said there is a $3.50 charge for using their atms in Indonesia plus the 3% conversion.

She then suggested something called the Travel Card which sounded very good. You pay $15 for the card, and the first top up on the card is FREE, then 1% thereafter for top ups.

There is NO fees at all apart from the conversion rate of 3%. Sounds perfect as I only want to take my own money as back up.

So hope that helps anyone else out with the same confusion I had to start with.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westpac Atm's in Bali???

Hi Thumper 2010,

The travel card still has a $3.50 atm fee.

A good card to have when travelling is a NAB gold debit visa. There are no overseas atm fees and no currency conversion fees. There is a $10.00 monthly fee or zero fee if you deposit $5000.00 per month into the account. You can get it for the trip and then close it after. We have this card and used it for our last two trips and didn't pay a cent in fees. The exchange we got when withdrawing from atm's or paying for our accommodation and purchases in the department stores was the average rate on the street.

Cheers

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,746 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westpac Atm's in Bali???

there is a thread here with discussions on it

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k396…

Good idea gabbyo. You would have to be a nab customer I guess ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westpac Atm's in Bali???

Yes, our friends opened up an account just to use the card for the month they were away.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westpac Atm's in Bali???

We have a Westpac debit Mastercard, yes we get charged the fees but we have never ever had a problem and have travelled alot including Bali (will be back in 11 days yipee!!) . Before the debit mastercard we had a travelex card which again is your own money, the fees are less etc etc but we couldnt use it anywhere, even the motels wouldnt touch it and we ended up using our credit card so for obvous reasons gave that the flick! I know people that only take cash to Bali but I feel much more at ease with my card.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Westpac Atm's in Bali???

Commonwealth was only charging $2 per withdrawal at C/Wealth ATMs in Bali with a Streamline Account

Rate a bit lower but no other fees.

"Commonwealth Bank Indonesia is a subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia and has been operating for almost 15 years"

commbank.com.au/about-us/…default.aspx

When a family member that lives in Bali had their account cleaned out (skimmer on ATM) they notified C/Wealth in Australia who cancelled their card & reimbursed the cash taken & fees charged for withdrawals

There are quite a few C/Wealth ATMs springing up especially in the Kuta/Legian/Seminyak area

Branch & ATM location

commbank.co.id/upublic/…