We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Mandala airways still operating??

liverpool
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Is Mandala airways still operating??

Hi Trying to get from Yogya to Medan on 26th May 2013. Garuda too expensive, Lion air banned from EU (low safety standards) I know we can fly via KL with air asia but ive found flights from yogya to pekanbaru then onwards to medan with mandala/tiger air (this would save on another entry visa payment and is also quicker than air asia) Problem is somewhere in the back of my mind is a nagging doubt that Mandala is not operating at the present time. Any feed back gratefully appreciated.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Mandala airways still operating??

You are likely getting Mandela/Tiger confused with Batavia Air.

Batavia recently ceased operations.

Mandela/Tiger and Citilink took over some of their routes.

LionAir are not proposing operations to EU destinations so the exclusion likely does not worry them too much.

LionAir operate a large fleet of new 737-900ERS, 737-800NGs, and their subsidiary regional division Wings Air operate new ATR72-500s and 600s.

The airline has a staggering number of further new aircraft on order including A320s, and more 737-900ERs and 800NGs, plus 737 MAX 9, A320neo and 787-8 aircraft (543 on order in total).

They are not an insignificant airline and are the nations largest domestic carrier, and are growing in importance as a regional international operator.

Their customer service seriously sucks, but they have a serious fleet investment, good flight frequencies and a growing network.

To get from Yogyakarta (JOG), to Medan (MES) you need to route via Jakarta, Surabaya, Bandung, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore. The first 2 options being the most obvious for convenience and flight frequencies.

Edited: 23 March 2013, 06:36
Asia
Level Contributor
663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Mandala airways still operating??

I usually take Lion Air flying in and out of Medan. There is nothing wrong with the airline and its planes. And usually they offer cheaper fares. Mandala is fine as well but offers fewer connections and, thus, is often less convenient for me.

My only issue is the rather frequent delays on the Jakarta Medan route.

Edited: 23 March 2013, 06:43
Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Mandala airways still operating??

Mandala were suspended for a year from Jan 2011 because of debt problems etc.

They have teamed up with Tiger Airways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandala_Airlines

Pamela.

liverpool
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Mandala airways still operating??

Thanks Pamela, i-hercules and Q cuppster for your prompt and imformative replies and Pamela I believe you are in contact with my kiwi friend Jana who we are doing this trip with! thanks for your advice

Medan
Level Contributor
963 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Mandala airways still operating??

i am starting to suspect hurcules is working in the aviation industry. or maybe you are just one hell of a plane freak haha, pardon the expression

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Mandala airways still operating??

Hi Irene,

Re: Jana.

Had to go and double check as I have recently had so many emails from travellers planning their trips to Indonesia and yes found Jana.

Have a wonderful trip and please post a report here on TA when you get back home.

Pamela.

7. Re: Is Mandala airways still operating??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 00:17