Hi, I am planning a solo trip to Japan from August 5-27 and am looking for input on my itinerary. My flight arrives in Tokyo on August 5th afternoon and departs August 27th evening from Tokyo. I like adventure, hiking, outdoors, good food, history, and some good nightlife. Price is not a big concern for me, but I prefer good value and don't need to stay or experience 5 star places. Planning this trip is very hard given how awesome Japan looks. Below is a rough plan, and I have listed specific questions I have.
August 5-7 Tokyo.
August 7-8 Climb Mt Fuji.
August 23-27 See more of Tokyo
1. Is Monday/Tuesday considered the least crowded day to do Mt Fuji? I was thinking about doing the Gotemba route as it looks the most challenging and least crowded. Can I do Mt Fuji solo?
2. Based on this itinerary, should I get a 1 or 2 week JR Rail Pass?
3. How can I meet other hikers or solo travellers to do the trails together in the Japan Alps? It would help make it more social experience and for safety reasons. I don’t want to pay lots of money for a guide. I am very fit and can do 20km-30km day hikes in steep terrain with no problem.
4. Based on the Obon holiday, how can I structure my trip to avoid big crowds? Will it be more crowded in certain cities or areas of the country?
5. Onsens look amazing. Is it worth experiencing a Ryokan or just going to an Onsen facility?
6. Are there any other must see places that I left off the list?Edited: 07 July 2017, 20:49