We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please review my proposed 22 day itinerary for August 2017

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Please review my proposed 22 day itinerary for August 2017

Hi, I am planning a solo trip to Japan from August 5-27 and am looking for input on my itinerary. My flight arrives in Tokyo on August 5th afternoon and departs August 27th evening from Tokyo. I like adventure, hiking, outdoors, good food, history, and some good nightlife. Price is not a big concern for me, but I prefer good value and don't need to stay or experience 5 star places. Planning this trip is very hard given how awesome Japan looks. Below is a rough plan, and I have listed specific questions I have.

August 5-7 Tokyo.

August 7-8 Climb Mt Fuji.

August 8-13 Hiking in the Japan Alps around Kamikochi

August 13-23 See Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima

August 23-27 See more of Tokyo

Specific questions:

1. Is Monday/Tuesday considered the least crowded day to do Mt Fuji? I was thinking about doing the Gotemba route as it looks the most challenging and least crowded. Can I do Mt Fuji solo?

2. Based on this itinerary, should I get a 1 or 2 week JR Rail Pass?

3. How can I meet other hikers or solo travellers to do the trails together in the Japan Alps? It would help make it more social experience and for safety reasons. I don’t want to pay lots of money for a guide. I am very fit and can do 20km-30km day hikes in steep terrain with no problem.

4. Based on the Obon holiday, how can I structure my trip to avoid big crowds? Will it be more crowded in certain cities or areas of the country?

5. Onsens look amazing. Is it worth experiencing a Ryokan or just going to an Onsen facility?

6. Are there any other must see places that I left off the list?

Edited: 07 July 2017, 20:49
Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
355 reviews
211 helpful votes
1. Re: Please review my proposed 22 day itinerary for August 2017

I suggest this itinerary.

Aug 5-6 Tokyo

Aug 6-11 Japan Alps

Aug 11-21 Kyoto,Osaka,Hiroshima

Aug 21-22 Mt.Fuji

Aug 22-27 Tokyo

At first,Aug 11-13 are Japanese public holiday(called "Mountain Day"),so it's expected to be crowded in Japan Alps,especially its huts.It called "One(or two) person per one Tatami".

Mt.Fuji Gotemba route has bigger difference of altitude than other routes,you might feel uncomfortable.

It's recommended to begin your hike at Fujinomiya 5th station and move to Gotemba route(this route is called"Prince Route".]

https://translate.google.co.jp/translate…

Obon is the holiday for office workers and factory workers,so most of them head to their parent's home,resorts,and other countries.City areas are more suitable for spending Obon,If you can spend in Japanese humid summer haha.

>5. Onsens look amazing. Is it worth experiencing a Ryokan or just going to an Onsen facility?

I suggest to stay one night at Okuhida after hiking in J-Alps.It's close to Kamikochi.

>6. Are there any other must see places that I left off the list?

Seto Inland Sea(between Kansai and Hiroshima) has very scenic spots,surely won't regret you.

Onomichi

http://www.ononavi.com/

Takamatsu

www.japan-accessible.com/city/takamatsu.htm

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
2. Re: Please review my proposed 22 day itinerary for August 2017

Aug 5-6 Tokyo

Aug 6-11 Japan Alps

Aug 11-19 Kyoto,Osaka,Hiroshima

Aug 19-20 Mt.Fuji

Aug 20-27 Tokyo

when you validate 14 day JR Pass on Aug 6, you must reach Mt Fuji by Aug 19

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
492 posts
117 reviews
43 helpful votes
3. Re: Please review my proposed 22 day itinerary for August 2017

There is a lot more to do in the Fuji region than just climbing Fuji, it is a great place to stay and explore too. Also you cannot get all the way there on JR pass, if you are travelling there from Hiroshima you can go to Hachioji on JR pass and then travel to Kawaguchi-ko.

https:/…

4. Re: Please review my proposed 22 day itinerary for August 2017

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2018, 00:17