We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coron after Typhoon Yolanda

Sydney
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Coron after Typhoon Yolanda

Would it be best to cancel my stay in El Rio Mar y resort next weekend?

Where would you suggest we travel to from Manila?

thank you

manila
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Coron after Typhoon Yolanda

Just arrived from Coron - terrific weather. Most of the resorts, if not all, are up and running. You may have to bear with some minor inconveniences -- most particularly poor wifi and cellular signal plus some resorts are still running on generator power. But everyone in the town did mention the significant drop in tourists and are hoping to increase tourist influx come January.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Coron after Typhoon Yolanda

@ Liss

Thanks a lot for this much needed ground-report.

(Nice to also read your earlier review on Coral bay resort - Coron - glad you liked it.)

Edited: 04 December 2013, 20:14
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
8 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Coron after Typhoon Yolanda

Thanks for the update Liss! Did you go on any tours while in Coron? How's local business like? We're planning to stay at El Rio y Mar during the last week of December and have plans to do some shopping at the Coron town proper.

This is an email from the resort for anyone that'll be staying at the El Rio y Mar Resort in December or January:

"Greetings from El Rio y Mar!

I would like to inform you that resort wasn’t totally damaged by the typhoon. Hence, our Native Cabanas damaged because these cottages are made of light materials.

Native Cabanas is made from Sawali and Cogon Grass. During the typhoon these rooms were under renovation that’s why said cottages were affected. Moreover, the resort has no electricity or water problem.

El Rio y Mar is under renovation and repairs until December 15, but can still accommodate guests of November and December and we are trying our best to meet our target date to finish the repairs on December 16, 2013.

El Rio y Mar still accepting donations for Haiyan typhoon victims. We wanna say thank you very much for having concerns to our fellowmen, your help will bring big smiles and hope to the Filipinos."

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Coron after Typhoon Yolanda

Can anyone advise is the Busuanga Island Paradise Hotel is up and running - i can see a facebook post from Mid November mentioning that it had some damage and should be open for guests on 23rd Nove - has anyone stayed here since then and is it good to go..??? Thanks, SJP

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Coron after Typhoon Yolanda

@ Mimsi,

Why not just send a fb message to the resort and ask them?

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Coron after Typhoon Yolanda

Thank you for your comment, however I would prefer an unbiased opinion from someone that has already stayed at the hotel. Many Thanks.

Palos Verdes...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Coron after Typhoon Yolanda

Traveling to Coron & staying @ the Corto del mar resort on Jan 29-31. Anyone can update me on the status of the airport & the hotel and nearby towns after Yolanda?

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Coron after Typhoon Yolanda

An interesting insight from a Newspaper in Blackpool, England :-

blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/marton-man-s-phi…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,013 posts
2,061 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Coron after Typhoon Yolanda

zevald, please see post number 61 and others that confirm that many hotels and other accommodation in Coron and on outlying islands are now operating either normally or very close to that. Managements and especially the staff would very much welcome your presence:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g729733-i12570-…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
8 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Coron after Typhoon Yolanda

Hi all, we stayed at El Rio y Mar Resort between Dec. 28 ~ Dec. 31, 2013. I like to report that the Busuanga airport, while damaged from the storm, is in full operation. El Rio y Mar Resort sustained damages from the storm, but most of the major damages were repaired. There's a cabana next to ours that was in the progress of renovation. All the roofs of the cabana rooms are replaced with reinforced metal tiling, no more nepa hut thatching material.

We also went on the Coron Town Tour and snorkeled at Twin Lagoon, Barracuda Lake, Kayangan Lake and Maquinit natural salt water hotsprings. The town of Coron (i.e. Coron Town Proper) is bustling with trikes, pedestrians, cars and tourists. The markets are all up and in full swing, it's amazing to see Coron in such a vibrant state understanding that it was one of the last towns that Typhoon Yolanda ravaged. You really couldn't tell a typhoon swept, especially with a reported 10,000 homes destroyed or damaged as reported by the media. The tell-tale sign of a storm were not destroyed structures, but the uprooted trees and leafless trees you'll encounter along the road into town.

My review of El Rio y Mar resort: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g729733-d108…

I've uploaded 50 photos so far with 50+ more to follow (exceeded Tripadvisor's initial 50 photo limit), including photos of Coron Town Proper.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 17:19