We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saftey in Boracay?

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Saftey in Boracay?

Hi ,

My partner and I are looking into a trip for a week to Boracay Island. I have checked the Australian smart-traveller website (Australian Government Website), in which they are advising not to visit the Philippines at the moment, due to a danger of terrorist and kidnapping. Can anyone shed any light of the current dangers or concerns why not to travel to this area?

Cheers,

Janelle

Boracay Island...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Saftey in Boracay?

You need to check again. See smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/…Philippines

The current recommendation not to travel is specific to central and western Mindanao, including the Zamboanga Peninsula and the Sulu Archipelago. Boracay is not located in any of those areas.

There are lots of Aussies in Boracay -- both residents and visitors.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,318 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saftey in Boracay?

Check your advisory again, I believe they are saying certain areas of the country, not the whole country. Boracay is and has been safe as is most other places in the country except for parts of Mindanao etc.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,987 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saftey in Boracay?

The travel advice if you want to go to Bali is worse while you should exercise the same precaution for Thailand just like in the Philippines.

london
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saftey in Boracay?

Been to Boracay several times and last year whilst there witnessed a more security present than ever and felt totally safe. They were doing a good job there and very unlikely to run into problems. Definately take caution if going south but Visayas and Luzon have always been a great place to visit, Filipinos take pride in being hospitable but like anywhere you get a few 'bad apples', as should remain a little on guard. Go there, lovely island and when you leave I would be surprised if you wouldn't already be thinking of another trip there.

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,166 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saftey in Boracay?

the only worry in boracay is getting too drunk and you end up like the movie hangover 1 and hangover 2. But really, just have fun in Boracay, no worries.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saftey in Boracay?

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your feedback! It has helped so much. Now I can get really excited about planning our trip there :-)

Ottawa,Canada
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saftey in Boracay?

Boracay is very safe

I would like to point out that the bar stools at Nigi Nigi's are a bit on the tall side and climbing down after a few beers can be quite a challenge and about the most unsafe thing that you will encounter on Boracay.

Have a great trip

Rob

Boracay Island...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Saftey in Boracay?

I've seen a few people climb down from the bar stools at Nigis after partaking of Long Island Iced Teas and/or Weng-Wengs, in a long lazy afternoon session only to discover that their legs no longer functioned properly.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saftey in Boracay?

Boracay is very safe and tourist friendly, don't worry.

10. Re: Saftey in Boracay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2012, 08:56