We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days SING only or + KL?

Scotland
Level Contributor
195 posts
23 reviews
9 days SING only or + KL?

We can get flights to SIN return, or into SIN and out of KL for nine nights at the start of October.

What is the advice regarding time in SiN?

We really like the idea of the rail journey between the two cities, to enjoy the scenery, but as it takes about 8 hours, accoring to TA posts, we might not have enough time in either city as we're allowing for jetlag on day one.

It's a long way from Scotland so we'd like to get it right and like the idea of seeing a bit of Malaysia too, not necessarily KL [we're not shoppers]

Any advice would be most welcome as we''l have to book flights and hotels asap.

Thank you

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: 9 days SING only or + KL?

Hi there, as you have 9 days I would like to advice you to spend time between Singapore and Malaysia. Some cities in Malaysia will be interesting to visit. You can take flight from Singapore to some of Malaysia's cities. Please take a look at: Tiger Airways (www.tigerairways.com.sg), Jetstar (www.jetstarasia.com), Air Asia (www.airasia.com), Fire Fly (www.fireflyz.com.my), Silk Air (www.silkair.com.sg), Malaysia Airlines (www.malaysiairlines.com), and of course Singapore Airlines (www.singaporeair.com). The first four airlines are budget airlines fly from Singapore to regional destination. Malaysia interesting cities might be: Malacca, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Langkawi, and Kota Kinabalu. You can see most of the Singapore in 4 days. Have a nice trip!

Singapore
Level Contributor
640 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: 9 days SING only or + KL?

There are more scenic sites if you travel by express bus rather than train. The travel time is also shorter.

I would also suggest Malacca instead of KL because KL is not much different than Singapore, except that it is much messier.

I would also be vary about KL at the moment because of the Political turmoil there at this moment. This is a little out of topic and I think it is necessary to put it here.

The Ruling party is intending to take back the government of the Selangor state where KL is situated by September and they are driving negative Malay sentiments to achieve this.

If you are travelling by October, I suggest you skip KL for the time being. Malacca would still be safe.

Scotland
Level Contributor
195 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: 9 days SING only or + KL?

Thank you all.

We have booked for October, staying 9 days in Sing and really looking forward to it

singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: 9 days SING only or + KL?

Congrats!

Both cities are the same except KL is... urmmm... well..

you've already made the right choice anyway..

enjoy!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: 9 days SING only or + KL?

Malacca is definitely a good choice to look around that is close to SIN. U can easily spend a few days enjoying that city's flavor.

IF u want to go further I suggest Penang or Ipoh (interesting places that is totally different from Singapore).

Good Luck

PS. all these can be done by luxury coaches.

Singapore
Level Contributor
160 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: 9 days SING only or + KL?

Hi there,

I am happy to hear that you have 9 nine days in Singapore. I will suggest for you to spend 3-4 days in Singapore and 5-6 days in Malaysia too.

transport suggestion to Malaysia.

Fly with AirAsia(www.airasia.com)

to nice places like Langkawi, Kota Kinabalu and Sarawak.

Take a train (www.ktmb.com) to KL

They provide night train from Singapore(10pm) to KL(arrive at about 6am). remember to choose the sleeping berth.

Check out some of the islands in Malaysia I have visited.

http://www.uniqueisland.blogspot.com/

Enjoy your stay and have fun

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: 9 days SING only or + KL?

Please do not be put off by what one poster said about KL and its so-called "turmoil". As a Singaporean expat who's been living in KL for 14 years, I've first hand knowledge of the city and its charms. There's absolutely no reason to be "wary". But hey, don't just take my word: post your question on the KL forum and see what other DEs say.

9 days in SIN can be quite excessive, especially if you're not shopaholics. As other posters have mentioned, you can easily head to Malacca or Penang (recently nominated UNESCO world heritage sites). Alternatively, have some chill time on the fab islands off the East Coast of Peninsula Malaysia.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: 9 days SING only or + KL?

I'll disagree with the previous poster - 9 days in Singapore I can potentially fill without thinking too hard, despite being a regular visitor - and still leave plenty for me to want to come back to do another time. I certainly would not call it excessive for non-shopaholics.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
790 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: 9 days SING only or + KL?

If you do one and not the other, you may forever be left wondering, "What did we miss?" Of course many posters tend to favour their own city, understandably. 9 days is ample time to explore both and still get a feel for each. Being westerners you will certainly enjoy the diversity of KL, its undeniably visualy appealing with some stunning islamic architecture.Singapore also has many attractions for the visitor that will delight the most seasoned traveller.

As an impartial non resident of either, my advice is not to miss KL

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: 9 days SING only or + KL?

This may be a little tangent (and prolly a little duh to bring up...but what the hell!!) to the above discussion....but I heard about a visa on landing if you book your flight through malaysia...

If I would just take a bus into malaysia....does that hold too?? coz iv arranged only Singapore visa from my home country...

Tho staying just for 4 days...I still would like to go to malacca since its closeby....ne ideas for a quick fix 1 day visa prolly?