We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Zoo and Night Safari?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
84 reviews
Singapore Zoo and Night Safari?

I only have two full days in Singapore and was thinking of doing the night safari and the zoo with everything else in between! Should I do both with such a short amount of time or just the zoo? Someone posted that the night safari was underwhelming after the zoo. Please help!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
142 posts
117 reviews
1. Re: Singapore Zoo and Night Safari?

If you would like to save some time for the night, I suggest the Singapore Zoo only would be the better option. You may wish to visit other attractions such as Orchard Road or the Singapore River during the nighttime. The Night Safari is somewhat similar to the Zoo, but I don't think its best to spend the time there.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,318 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Singapore Zoo and Night Safari?

The Night Safari is far better IMHO. A zoo is a zoo, though the one in Singapore is particularly good. People compare the Night Safari to the zoo just because they both contain animals but I think thats quite wrong. Anyway the Night Safari can be done from 8pm to 11pm so wont take up any of you 'sight seeing time' and its cooler in the evenings too.

Edited: 01 November 2010, 06:26
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,695 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Singapore Zoo and Night Safari?

This is a common question, especially with the issue of limited time stopovers.

The Night Safari is not a simple walk round and look zoo - I have seen many people do that as they dash past enclosures and I've heard them complain at the place about lack of animals. Its dark and the nocturnal animals tend to a) shyness and b) a habit of hiding from sudden noises, so you need to be alert and focussed, not to mention patient to get the most out of the Night Safari - you have to actively spend time looking for the lurking critters. If you do that then it is an excellent experience and a very different one, in my experience anyway - not underwhelming in any way.

However, maintaining that kind of attention is hard (IMO) if you have on the same day spent the entire day wandering round the Zoo, so I always advise splitting them to different days if you have the option. Especially as I think you need a whole day as a first time visitor to get everything out of the Zoo (rather than just getting enough out of the zoo) and that in itself can be hard if you aren't acclimatised to the Tropics.

Whether to do two of them or one has to be a personal choice and depends on what else you want to do and when the time is free for you. THey don't compete for time-slots as each is open when the other is closed. If you want to do other things during the daytime then the Night Safari slots neatly into an evening, conversely if your evenings are already filled, the Zoo will do nicely too. Then, of course, to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, so to speak, there is the option of the BirdPark rather than the Zoo. Smaller than the Zoo so less hard work to get around - plus there are three air-conditioned areas to recover in around the park it might offer some variety over two animal exhibits (I always visit all three when I hit Singapore, but then I always spend at least a week there so I have the time) - but the BirdPark and Night Safari make a decent combination too - the smaller BirdPark leaving the option of something smaller on the way back for the evening if you finish in time. For example, the Peranakan Museum perhaps, or the Battle Box and Fort Canning - something that size.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
70 reviews
4. Re: Singapore Zoo and Night Safari?

If you are staying in Singapore longer, I would definitely recommend both zoo and night safari. But since you are here only for 2 days, I suggest you see just one of the 2 and visit some other place for greater variety.

singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Singapore Zoo and Night Safari?

I think both zoos are great and it wouldn't be a bad idea to see both although I would agree you shouldn't see them on the same day.

Personally if I had to pick one, I would take the day zoo but that's me.

6. Re: Singapore Zoo and Night Safari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 01:16